News:

"Destiny Challenged us and so we chose to end the world.  There was nothing to regret.  Nothing."

Main Menu

DM Nagging: It's pretty much my job

Started by Anastasia, April 12, 2018, 12:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

Quote from: Iron Dragoon on December 21, 2019, 04:24:36 PM
So, I'm looking at this:

Improving An Item Familiar

An item familiar can be improved as other magic items can be. By spending gold pieces (and time and experience points, assuming the character is the one doing the work), a character can add new abilities to his item familiar. If a character links himself to a +1 longsword, for example, it only costs 6,000 gp (or 3,000 gp and 240 XP) to add another +1 of enhancement bonus or, perhaps, a special ability that is equivalent to a +1 bonus (such as spell storing or flaming). The character can accomplish this even without having the requisite item creation feats.

This type of improvement has nothing to do with the master's character level, though it may affect the item's eventual Ego score.

Now what I'm not understanding is this: A +1 effect is 2,000gp. Adding a second +1 effect is 8,000gp as the new total enhancement bonus is +2. By the improvement rule, it's only 6,000gp for an improvement of a familiar.

Now this is my Item Familiar:

Life-drinker +1 (+14 total enchantment value), 392,000gp: 1d12, x3 Crit; Bestows two negative levels on damage, 1 day later DC 16 fort to lose a character level. Bestows one negative level on wielder on damage; In addition, it is also Anarchic, Transmuting, All-Bane, Wounding. Anarchic: Chaos aligned, +2d6 damage vs. lawful alignment. Transmuting: 1 round after a successful hit, overcomes damage reduction. All-bane: as a swift action, the wielder may change the type of bane weapon it is. This may be any bane type listed on the table for bane weapons (DMG 224), but not more exotic types of bane (such as a mage bane weapon). Wounding: On damage, inflict 1 point of damage to Constitution.

The total bonus for this is +14 @ 392,000gp. So, If I want to bump the +1 to, say, +10 and add damage dice by say, tossing on acid damage, what's the actual math formula for it? I mean, as it stands, it's got a lot of things going for it, but it's still a +1, 1d12 +2d6 bane weapon. Anarchic is more if it can be applied, but as a raw weapon, I think I need a bit more to-hit and damage.

It would be treated as a weapon of its full power.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Iron Dragoon

Quote from: Anastasia on December 21, 2019, 11:43:31 PM
Quote from: Iron Dragoon on December 21, 2019, 12:32:45 AM
Posting for approval/adding to homebrew:

Telekinetic Combat Reflexes

You can respond quickly and repeatedly to opponents who let their defenses down.

Prerequisite
Telekinetic Focus
Combat Reflexes

Benefit

When wielding a melee weapon with the Telekinetic Wielder use of telekinesis you may make attacks of opportunity in the full range of the spell.

Normal

A character without this feat cannot make attacks of opportunity with a telekinetically wielded weapon.

Formatting this as normal for my ease of parsing.

Telekinetic Combat Reflexes [???]
Prerequisite: Telekinetic Focus, Combat Reflexes
Benefit: When wielding a melee weapon with the Telekinetic Wielder use of telekinesis you may make attacks of opportunity in the full range of the spell.
Normal: You cannot make attacks of opportunity with weapons controlled with telekinesis.

Which class is Telekinetic Focus from?

Telekinetic Master. The PRC you homebrewed up.
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Iron Dragoon

<Penuche> Iddy invokes Penuche's magic: < 1 > [d8=1]
+2 con, +3 from belt con, +2 from epic toughness. Total gain: 8. New total: 402 hp

+1 to saves

+19 skill points.
+4 Armorsmithing, +1 Blacksmithing, +1 Mapmaking, +3 Weaponsmithing, +1 Diplo, +1 K:A/D/G/N/P/R, +1 Perception, +1 Spellcraft, +1 Stealth.

Reassigning skill points:
-10 Apparise, -1 Handle Animal, -1 Heal, -10 Slight of Hand
+4 Blacksmithing, +4 Mapmaking, +7 Weaponsmithing, +7 armorsmithing

Factotum 25:
-Opportunistic Piety (+1 Use)

TKM 5:
Telekinetic Blast

+1 level 14 spell slot

Reassigning Feats:

Level 9: Minor Shapeshift -> Arcane Strike

Human Bonus Feat: Maximize Spell -> Combat Reflexes

MotAO 9: Echoing Spell -> Maximize Spell

Level 33: Improved Metamagic -> Telekinetic Combat Reflexes
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Corwin

Quote from: Anastasia on December 21, 2019, 11:48:30 PM
Quote from: Iron Dragoon on December 21, 2019, 04:24:36 PM
So, I'm looking at this:

Improving An Item Familiar

An item familiar can be improved as other magic items can be. By spending gold pieces (and time and experience points, assuming the character is the one doing the work), a character can add new abilities to his item familiar. If a character links himself to a +1 longsword, for example, it only costs 6,000 gp (or 3,000 gp and 240 XP) to add another +1 of enhancement bonus or, perhaps, a special ability that is equivalent to a +1 bonus (such as spell storing or flaming). The character can accomplish this even without having the requisite item creation feats.

This type of improvement has nothing to do with the master's character level, though it may affect the item's eventual Ego score.

Now what I'm not understanding is this: A +1 effect is 2,000gp. Adding a second +1 effect is 8,000gp as the new total enhancement bonus is +2. By the improvement rule, it's only 6,000gp for an improvement of a familiar.

Now this is my Item Familiar:

Life-drinker +1 (+14 total enchantment value), 392,000gp: 1d12, x3 Crit; Bestows two negative levels on damage, 1 day later DC 16 fort to lose a character level. Bestows one negative level on wielder on damage; In addition, it is also Anarchic, Transmuting, All-Bane, Wounding. Anarchic: Chaos aligned, +2d6 damage vs. lawful alignment. Transmuting: 1 round after a successful hit, overcomes damage reduction. All-bane: as a swift action, the wielder may change the type of bane weapon it is. This may be any bane type listed on the table for bane weapons (DMG 224), but not more exotic types of bane (such as a mage bane weapon). Wounding: On damage, inflict 1 point of damage to Constitution.

The total bonus for this is +14 @ 392,000gp. So, If I want to bump the +1 to, say, +10 and add damage dice by say, tossing on acid damage, what's the actual math formula for it? I mean, as it stands, it's got a lot of things going for it, but it's still a +1, 1d12 +2d6 bane weapon. Anarchic is more if it can be applied, but as a raw weapon, I think I need a bit more to-hit and damage.

It would be treated as a weapon of its full power.

Basically, as you say it's a +14 effective weapon. If you want to bump the numerical enchantment value from +1 to +10, that's a +9 bump overall. So the weapon becomes a 14+9=23. So your monetary amount is the difference from the full cost of a +23 weapon minus the full cost of a +14 weapon.
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Anastasia

I'll resume level ups tonight or tomorrow, haven't felt well today.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Jarem reaches level 35.

- Cleric 35 and Knight 35.
- 10 on a d12 for a total of 19 hit points and a grand total of 537 hit points.
- +1 BAB for a total of 35.
- Gets another daily use of smite.
- Gains 35th level cleric spellcasting. This is another 14th level spell per day. It's another antimagic zone, he needs a custom spell per two here but I'll do them later.
- All saves rise by 1.
- Skills go up as normal.
- Improved Deific Foe(C35), Epic Toughness(K35) as his new bonus feats.

Okay level up. Jarem needs great smiting once he gets the Charisma for it.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Emily reaches level 35.

- Sorcerer 35 and Dragonfire Knight 25.
- 2 on a d10 for a total of 12 hit points and a grand total of 533 hit points.
- +1 BAB for a total of 33.
- Temp HP per day rises by 1.
- Extra damage from dragonfire wrath rises by 1d10 to 12d10.
- Gains another daily use of dragonfire wrath.
- Gains 35th level sorcerer spellcasting. Gets another 14th level spell per day and another 14th level spell per day known. She selects Thunderous Voice.
- Gains 31st level favored soul spellcasting. This is another 12th level spell per day and another 13th level spell known. She selects Instant Regeneration, as a recent adventure reminded her that when she needs regeneration, she really needs it.
- All saves rise by 1.
- Feats: Epic Toughness(D25), Automatic Metamagic(Quicken)(S35) as her new feats.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Ianvasah reaches level 35.

- Druid 35 and Dragonheart Shapeshifter 15.
- 2 on a d8 for a total of 14 hit points and a grand total of 550 hit points.
- +1 BAB for a total of 31.
- Breath weapon's damage rises by 1d12.
- Gains 35th level druid spellcasting. She'll get another mass power of the huntress. She needs a custom spell here but doing those later.
- All saves rise by 1.
- Automatic Metamagic(Quicken)(DH15) as her new feat.

Okay level, very much an in betweener for her.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Bastian reaches level 35.

- Monk 35 and Horizon Walker 25.
- 6 on a d8 for a total of 17 hit points and a grand total of 562 hit points.
- Spell resistance rises by 1 to 45.
- Wholeness of body rises by 2 to 70.
- Terrain bonus rises by 1 to +7.
- All saves rise by 1.
- Chooses Improved Spell Resistance(M32), Improved Terrain Bonus(HW22) for his feats.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Amaryl reaches level 35.

- Dragonbreath Archer 14 and Sorcerer 20.
- Maximum hit points per hit die, for a total of 18 hit points and a grand total of 608 hit points.
- +1 BAB for a total of 29.
- Spell resistance rises to 50.
- Gains 22nd level sorcerer spellcasting. She grabs Celestial Valor.
- All saves rise by 1.
- Maximize Spell is her new feat from sorc levels.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Lady Sanzha reaches level 35.

- Marid 35 and Madalani 11.
- Maximum hit points per hit die, for a total of 18 hit point sand a total of 630 hit points.
- Channel elements rises by 1 to 18d6.
- Spell resistance rises by 1 to 46.
- Gains Padisha's Cunning.
- Gains 33rd level bard spellcasting. This is a new 10th level spell per day as well as opening 11th level magic with zero innate charges. She also gets a 10th and 11th level spell known, which are Sulnor's Show Fate and Superb Dispelling.
- All saves rise by 1.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Kascha reaches level 35.

- Ghaele 35 and Wyrm Wizard 25.
- Maximum hit points per hit die for a total of 19 hit points and a grand total of 668 hit points.
- Spell resistance rises by 1 to 50.
- Gains 35th level wizard spellcasting. She gets another 14th level spell, she'll go with Syala's blessing again for the moment. Revisions here later, probably.
- All saves go up by 1.
- Shatter Spell Resistance(WW25) as her feat.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Elle reaches level 35.

- Wizard 35 and Dragon Disciple 25.
- 5 on a d12 for reference, but as a proxy and about to go DvR0 aaanyway, she gets maximum hit points per hit die, for a total of 25 hit points and a grand total of 851 hit points.
- +1 BAB for a total of 25.
- Spell resistance rises by 1 to 50.
- School mastery rises by 1 to 35.
- Natural armor rises by +1.
- Breath weapon damage rises by 2d8.
- Gains 35th level wizard casting. This is two new 14th level spells, including dragon disciple's bonus spell. Elle selects two more Triple Booms, as with DvR looming this is going to mangle and muddle her spells again and require a rework. Assume these are placeholders.
- All saves rise by 1.
- Epic Spell Penetration as her new feat.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Donald reaches level 35.

- Duskblade 35 and 1st level of LA payoff for prismatic dragon.
- 7 on a d10 for reference, but maximum hit points per hit die, for a total of 24 and a grand total of 866 hit points.
- Spell resistance rises by 1.
- Gains 35th level duskblade casting. This is a 2 9th level spells per day and a new spell known. He'll go with Donald's Crash.
- All saves rise by 1.

Donald's Crash
Evocation [Acid]
Level: Duskblade 9
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: 10ft/level
Area: 10ft/level radius burst centered on you
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Reflex half
Spell Resistance: Yes

A barrage of dragon shaped balls of acid rain down on your foes, which deals 1d8 points of acid damage per caster level (maximum 30d8). These balls seek out foes and ignore friends. Only enemies in the radius take damage from this spell, while the balls ignore cover, concealment and total concealment.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quick question: Could everyone check if all of their spells are in the spell collection? I want to make sure I haven't missed any lately.
<Afina> Forever.