News:

You have made a powerful enemy today, stop sign.

Main Menu

Family Reunion

Started by Anastasia, September 17, 2018, 10:55:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

We're going to start this one OOC because I want to touch base with you.

Go ahead and paste the info you've written about your parents first of all so we're both clear on them, as well as who you're taking with you for this trip.

When dealing with backstory I find it helpful for both of us to refresh when we begin so it's ready and clear in our minds.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Iron Dragoon

Phone, so this might not paste right.

Alyssa grew up as the daughter of servants of a noble. Her father, Walt Songsteel, was the Lord's blacksmith; though more a farrier than anything else. Her mother, Alilynn, was a housemaid and seamstress. Like many poor and servant families, they rarely had enough money to pay for proper care, though proximity and goodwill from the Lord they were serving allowed her parents to have three children, Alyssa, and older twins Thoben and Alihana. Alyssa was the youngest and born with complications that left both herself and her mother weak. Though weakened, due to her work as an in-house seamstress, Alilynn was able to continue to serve the Lord.

When she was eight, the lord had a visitor. This visitor brought with him slaves in place of servants and was known to have a wicked temper and disposition. While visiting, her older brother was helping to care for the visiting lord's horses, and reshoeing one. The lord came to inspect the work and was dissatisfied. When Thoben questioned what he was dissatisfied with, the lord flew into a rage at being questioned by what he viewed as a slave, using a quick spell to fling him across the stables, killing him.

The two lords nearly went to war over the death, but in the end, it was settled as most things are: with money. In an unusual turn, their lord offered her family the lion's share of the money and freedom from serfdom. They accepted. Though grieving decided to stay in the Lord's service as hired hands in place of servants, albeit after they moved into a fair sized home, purchased with the money.
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Anastasia

Sounds good. Okay, you and Jarem for the trip, I believe?
<Afina> Forever.

Iron Dragoon

Anastasia

Jarem is ready, in armor and with his gear. "So what's the name of the castle and lord?" he asks as he gets ready, "Anything else I need to know?"
<Afina> Forever.

Iron Dragoon

Um, I did not specify a name? Just pick one?

Anastasia

Sure. Lord Melweather. Go ahead and reply to Jarem IC and I'll get yo ugoing.
<Afina> Forever.

Iron Dragoon

"Lord Melweather. Just the typical nobility ceremony, though he's more relaxed about it than others from what I remember."

Anastasia

The wind is chill. That's what you notice first. The sky is gray and leaden, thick with clouds as a wind blows. Lord Melweather's castle stands with a village around it, the two of you appearing on the outskirts of the village. Jarem looks about at the simple homes lingering at the edge of the village. These are buildings of wood and with thatched roofs, windows covered against the chill with wooden slats. The people who go back and forth are well enough fed if wearing plain peasant clothes, giving the two of you surprised looks.

"Easy to forget how the normal people have it, hm?" Jarem remarks, smiling. "Greetings, blessings of the Lady of Strategy on you." He raises his voice, "We come in peace and friendship."
<Afina> Forever.

Iron Dragoon

Alyssa smiles at them and nods, shifting her clothes to something more suitable for the weather with a simple command word.

"It is. It's nice to come home."

Anastasia

The people watch as Jarem smiles even more, taking out a bag of coins. "100 gold coins," he announces, "Free for any resident who can defeat me at chess or another game of strategy that I know. I'll return later today." Holding the bag up and high in one hand before putting it back away, Jarem falls in step with you. "Let them understand that the Red Knight rewards those who use their mind bravely and intelligently."
<Afina> Forever.

Iron Dragoon

Alyssa snorts. "I doubt you'll find many converts here. These people live fairly well for their positions. This way."

She heads off towards the Lord's castle, getting more eager to see her family the closer she gets.

Anastasia

Jarem chuckles, "What farmer idles about and expects crops to grow for him? Listen, Alyssa." Jarem follows, as the people murmur of it, word surely spreading amid them of Jarem's offer. Once you are out of earshot of them he continues in a quieter voice. "I never said I would play with all my skill. Only skill enough to defeat any but the wise and smart, and allow that one to overcome me. In that a seed is laid. A wise and smart man can well turn that sort of money into the beginnings of a better life."

Taking a breath out, misting in front of his face, "That man will know who he owes his rise to. He will remember. Perhaps he will never do anything to thank the Red Knight directly, but a daughter will hear of the story one day. A daughter of good breeding, fine upbringing and sound mind. One who will seek the Red Knight who so helped her beloved father. Or maybe the winner will understand more directly and contribute heavily to the churches of the Red Knight in this land, or help establish one. Perhaps even that he will come to swear fealty to her and bring others to the faith, all because he understood the true thrust of the lesson and what it offers."

With an upturned smile, "I plant seeds that may take a generation or more to bloom. Seeds that I may never see blossom, seeds that may die in the cold ground and never bloom. But what farmer can know good seeds from bad without trying?"
<Afina> Forever.

Iron Dragoon

Alyssa rolls her eyes. "I think this is why I never got far enough in my religious studies to specialize in it. I hope it works out for them, but often enough, I see people like this come into money and lose it even faster. There's not enough education to expect more. You want to help and plant a seed that lasts for generations? Start a school."

Anastasia

To this Jarem laughs, "You're not wrong! Unfortunately I don't have the time to do that here." Reaching out and slapping your back, "Don't think that the patron of strategy neglects the value of schooling."
<Afina> Forever.