News:

"I sense a soul in search of answers.  I shalt eat him."

Main Menu

The eternal battles forward

Started by Anastasia, May 02, 2020, 12:07:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

Sylica thrives.

You stand on a balcony in Liberton, hair loose and free as it flows in the breeze. You can see your realm prosper in the city and what lies beyond it. Mercia bustles with your faithful and visitors alike. Mortal and immortal rub shoulders as boats sail in the river, the metallic gleam of celestial dolphins that swim along side them glimpsed. Your name is called a thousand times in these moments, from those who seek blessings, to those who curse their foes, to those who call on you in times of need, to even those who simply unite with another soul.

You feel it. A spark of war. Armies on a hundred Primes clash, each known to you in a grand display of warfare. At times it is merely matters of war, and yet other times it is crusades. Crusades to push back the night, the cruel, the monsters that lurk in bodies both twisted and far too human. This is in contrast to the moments of creation you feel. Less, for so many have to gather and yet you have them. Weapons and arms forged for war come to m ind the easiest, or those dedicated to magic, liberation, righteousness or the other aspects that are you, that define you. Yet you feel these on so many Prime worlds and beyond as well, your senses lost in each and every one. Your domains and your portfolio resonate within you even as your physical eyes take in your divine realm.

Here you see and hear many call your name in loyalty, in satisfaction, in contentment. Beyond this place they call on you with the urgency of mortality and danger, strands woven together as heroes do war in your name. You feel every triumph as you mourn every loss. As champions stride victorious, others pass into Uatu's realm of gentle, cool crystal steps and ethereal mists, the ultimate price paid. Death and life eternally dance together in your gaze now, as the fruits of holy war blossom, as Creation is surely fertile ground for these to grow.

Yet you are aware of other things. You see the opal-gleaming temple erected there in Antenora's honor. The radiant Solara Tower for Latha shines as the early afternoon sun glows with all of its warmth. You see where the cooling shadows gather, a visible and yet shrouded church to your sister there as well. Perhaps her only open one, but there is no reason to hide here, not in the seat of your own power. There is no temple for Syala - but every grove beyond the city is hers, and a few in the city no less.

The softest thud of footsteps behind you, there when a moment ago none approached. The faint metallic rustle and firm steps of Antenora are heard, along with the wooden thunk of the butt of her spear, as if allowed to graze the ground with each step.

"Queen sends her regards," Antenora speaks without preamble, as a paladin-sorcerer dedicated to you quenches hellfire, only to sacrifice the last fleeting droplets of life left in his broken form to do it, to purify the land of his Prime of this unholy taint. A war between two nations, Gesfarn and Ambrook, rages as thousands of soldiers, knights, mages and even peasant levees do savage war, all over a few scraps of land now stained and cursed by blood. Again and again and again the Primes rage - and yet a shadow to the eternal war below, the Blood War ablaze like a hellish star of eternal warfare, from the darkest hatred to the (perhaps foolish) crusaders who join it to purge the fiends.

"I understand that since her debut, she's had several deities make contact with her. She's made her splash, and it's only a matter of time until events move forward around her." Here Antenora slowly drums her fingers against her spear shaft, a steady and constant rhythm without interruption, without flaw, perfectly coordinated and regular. "I fear that like the Cauldron and the Astral, many will have a vested interest in the status quo of the Infinite Stair and its continuation. Mystra informed me that unnamed others have already made discreet inquires to her about her position on these matters."

A pause for a moment, as you hear one faithful you have an eye on. Ayane makes her morning prayers, simple and routine things for another hard day of rebellion ahead.

"Also, Shar sends her regards as only she can," Antenora continues on, a slight frown marring her features, as you can hear the laughter of those who race down the rivers of Mercia. "A minor Competition already, albeit around a soul darkened by her touch, but one not beyond redemption. A mere lay worshiper, but still no less worthy to be saved." Then, with the faintest twist of her lips into a tight smile, "I would say to pray, but we've outgrown that option."

Details about Marie were not included. If you'd like to add something here for a building for her or whatever else, feel free. Wasn't my place to do it. This is also the warmup post, so I kept most things a bit vague for the sake of setting the table. More named things in future posts.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Ebiris

Marie's made sure to get a cathedral put up for herself here in the seat of their power. The confusing named Stone Vault actually having very little stone involved in its construction and being made primarily of stained glass making up its colourful multi-faceted spires and catching the light from Sylica's numerous sources of such.

As Alicia absorbs what knowledge she garners of Creation through her portfolio and handles the answering of prayers and granting of spells, she half turns towards Antenora's arrival. "She's fortunate to have such a solid power-base to start with," she says on the subject of Queen, turning her head to look out over Sylica once more. "Though allies help, and if need be her personal strength is worthy of note. We'll keep an eye on things and support her as we're able."

Listening more, she smiles slightly herself. "It amuses me how fundamentally traditional Shar is, given her purpose. Mystra once said she's always receptive to joining in godly collaborative projects when they occur and she's given an invitation. I think if she ever did succeed she'd miss the Competition, and all that goes with it. Needless to say: beat her."

Anastasia

"I hope that Queen's rise is seen as a done deed, part of the Godsrush," Antenora agrees. "I've received many diplomatic overtures, even from those I have no desire to treat with. That there are so many new powers to deal with at once is to Queen's benefit, though not to her ultimate salvation. Yet the time this grants her may yet be enough, if she forms proper alliances and powers that object are kept busy. Each day she stands there and reigns, the stronger her position becomes."

A moment's pause here as you feel it. Ayane tenses as she quickly thinks a prayer to you, for the servant who brings her breakfast drops the tray, a moment of surprise as she begins to react, a dagger already coming right for her throat. Yet she begins to move, her own speed considerable as a moment of desperate combat begins.

At the same time Antenora smiles herself, a moment's pleasure. "Shar is one of the old deities, and for all she is, she is rather stuck in her ways. Not even she can resist the touch of the ages - nor my own voice and will, which will show her how foolish she is. Speaking of, Emmaline's taken to her new position well. The more she works, the more dedicated she's become. She once told me that as the days pass, each one reminds her of how blessed she was to escape Shar." A soft hm, "Not yet, but in time, she will be a powerful servant and friend. Perhaps a proxy one day in the future, should she stay her course."
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

While Alicia worries for Ayane, it's more that her ingrained prejudices will create rifts with potential allies rather than her chances in a straight fight with an assassin. Still she's not yet disappointed Alicia and so she supports her with her divine blessing in this battle as she has in ones before.

"Anyone particularly interesting in those overtures?" she asks Antenora. "I still remember when we hosted Beezelbub here, that was a stressful day. Though I'd be interested to know his feelings on what happened to Eblis." She nods afterwards and says, "I've been trying to avoid going too fast with Emmaline, give her a chance to appreciate life and find herself again, but I think she's getting restless. I've been thinking about recalling Ebony and sending Emmaline out in her place, Aurora should offer plenty of action, although I worry about drawing Shar's attention to them with such a move."

Anastasia

Antenora steps forward to be at your side before she says, "Lixer sent a polite greeting. Less of any appreciation and more out of a sense of..." Here Antenora hesitates a moment, "Comradeship, as we are both new powers. He used the Dark Speech and Infernal, but in a way I found all too familiar. An insult and a threat all at once, and to admit it gives him an opening to comment on my own mistakes of the past." A shake of Antenora's head there, her hand tight around her spear.

"Bane sent a message about divine politics, that we support each other should a planar lord usurp against one of the divine, and that we push back together. A message I also received from a few others, far less objectionable ones. Malcanthet sent an overdue one, albeit one part sweet and the other part required as she has made a move to secure Violet. Auril sent one - formal, but without any barbs, but merely cold as she is. Umberlee signed it as well, though she did not add anything else to it. Chourst...also...sent a greetings of sorts, and Renbuu sent me a lovely painting of Aurora and a note of congratulations for our 'shared' art there. Cyric and Loviatar both send simple notes of acknowledgement."

Then with a sigh, "At least Sharess's note was objectionable in an entirely different direction." Slowly Antenora exhales, "Though I'm mostly convinced she did it purely to tease me. Helm and I also had a lovely conversation, nothing important but a fine greeting."

> roll 1d100 low is good
<Penuche> Kotono invokes Penuche's magic: < 68 > [d100=68]

You see Ayane turn, whirl. Violence in a safehouse bedroom, the assassin grazing Ayane's shoulder as poison burns in her veins a moment later. Yet the blur of the swiftblade sends the assassin onto the bed and through it, lying there in a heap before a quick spell slams raw force into the would be killer's body, snapping his spine and neck like twigs. Her legend will endure, thankfully, as long as the poison doesn't do her in.
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

Fortunately poison is one of those things which has a hard time taking against the constitution of someone empowered by divine blessings like Ayane is, so Alicia isn't overly concerned. Still such efforts never come alone and there's sure to be backup close at hand to try and finish off a weakened Ayane if her location's been so compromised, so Alicia subtly acts to keep her paladin's tension high so she'll get moving and stay on guard.

"I'm still waiting to hear from Vlaakith about this neutral mediation Malcanthet has requested, it seems she really is set on retrieving Violet after all. I'm surprised by it," Alicia admits candidly. "Of course she'd have to offer something spectacular to make me consider it, or the whole thing might just be a ploy to gather information about our recent successes or pit us against the githyanki. We'll see." She mulls over the rest of it before adding, "Bane's somewhat unfortunate in that an assertive Hell undermines his own authority since there's so much crossover, I can see why he'd be eager to court support in case of disaster even from us. Auril... she's like that. I have an easier time with evils like her. Syala would be annoyed at me but I can accept the cold harshness of nature that she represents better than the evil of thinking beings. Even with her personal wickedness and the cruelties her faithful are capable of, when I compete with her I try not to make it as personal as I would with say Cyric."

Letting those thoughts settle she smiles and adds, "Or Lixer. I gave him my own greeting recently which was fully instructive. But yes, you've supported me enough these past years to see how it goes without me needing to play teacher. We have many enemies but we can't be rivals with all of them."

Anastasia

Annoyance is the fuel of dungeon deathtraps, my love.

> roll 1d100 low is good
<Penuche> Kotono invokes Penuche's magic: < 11 > [d100=11]

Meanwhile Ayane hurries. Blade on blade, magic on magic. She is a blur now, the followup of hired mercenaries naught but wheat to her, the house alerted before disaster can strike. A battle that surges into triumph, even as the rebels and Ayane prepare to leave and salvage the situation as best they can.

Antenora listens and looks out of Sylica, the boat races in particular. "My hope is that the ritual she underwent has encountered complications and she needs Violet to fix it." It's not a kindly smile on Antenora's face now, but rather a firm one, that of a hunter that spies prey. "Unfortunately, her mere ability may be enough to provoke this alone." Here, after a moment, "I replied neutrally to Bane, more because there have been incidents like that. Between us, I understand the necessity of the point he makes." A moment of divine will, the area shielded. "What if events came so that Morwel felt her dream had to encompass the Seldarine? What if Asmodeus grew tired of Bane? What if the demon lords banded against Fury's Heart? What if the Archangels came to the conclusion that they lead with a better and steadier hand than Lathander?"

A breath out again, slower, "Who can hate winter? I can." It's all Antenora says to your comments about Auril, and after you finish, "There is another matter. When all of this just began, we discussed moving Sylica, at least until you were a lesser power. That time draws nigh."
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

"It would be nice if such ill-gotten power had a price to be paid by her and not her victims," Alicia appreciates the prospect Antenora raises, though she doesn't get her hopes up. "Still, an ordered Creation supports all of us. And... well, Elysium suits our place better in such an order. Though I do love Ysgard so, it's always been good to us."

Anastasia

"It has." Antenora softens her voice here, "We know now that our realms are alive, Alicia. Have you tried to communicate with Sylica?"
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

"Not with words, not a conversation," Alicia shakes her head. "But I communicate with it every time I assert my will, you remember when you and Syala and I oversaw its big expansion recently? Did you feel something there?" She turns more fully to Antenora, "If places were inclined to chat I imagine we'd hear a lot more from them, but it's not how I perceive Sylica. What life it has is deep, reflective of those who dwell there, leave their mark, and ultimately merge with it... Sylica is young though. Very few have merged here, their presence spread out and diffuse. But I know it's happy like this, being a living and vital realm rather than a rarely challenged and lonely demiplane."

Anastasia

Antenora merely nods to your question and instead is silent for the rest. After she muses, "I wish..." she begins, "That it was something I could embrace, comfort, mother. Some token of our gratitude and affection for it, something beyond the different ways these planes seem to think. I know well it is a young realm, I see it like a child in need of comfort and motherly affection."

A beat before, "And I feel like a fool if I lean down and gently pat the ground like a head."
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

"Look down there," Alicia points over the edge of the balcony.

And down below, Marie is seen with her long purple hair flowing in the breeze, her beautiful elfin figure garbed in an extravagant gown of white and gold as she strides out into the gleaming paved courtyard and then squats down to gently pat her hand on the ground in a loving gesture.

"Aren't you so good, Sylica? Thank you for taking care of us."

"There's something to be said for living your life so free of shame," Alicia muses quietly.

Anastasia

Antenora smiles - a big, wide and open smile. "Marie's always been our heart and our love. Though, I'd expect Syala to be the one to comment on living without shame."

In a fine mood, Antenora?

With a growing chuckle as you sense the battles of the Blood War, of savagery in the guise of warfare, as the dead and the spiritual wage war on a broken, ice choked field. Amid all this your senses do not end, but it is a voice beyond them that catches your attention.

'Alicia.' The voice of Vlaakith, projected across the planes and into your mind.
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

"She's paying attention," Alicia says mildly after Syala's commentary. And then she hears from the lich queen of the githyank - she hopes she didn't do a sending spell for just one word.

'I hear you,' she responds.

Anastasia

Ayane prays to you at the same time, a simple thanks as she flees the compromised safe house. You feel it and hear it as you also hear Vlaakith's voice.

'Malcanthet has informed you of possible mediation. Are you interested and would you accept this?'

At the same time Antenora smiles and appears next to Marie, arms around her. Syala appears next to you as well, as if aware, and merely awaits your word.
<Afina> Forever.