Anyone interested in a forum based D&D game?

Started by Priss, October 31, 2004, 07:05:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Priss

For specifics...

If anyone's interested, this would be a forum based (because I'm only irregularly on IRC and that's not good for someone DMing) run in 3e D&D.  It would be run (at least at first) mainly in the Underdark.  If enough interest is shown, I may consider expanding the game to move into adventures in the land above.   This will be a game for as few as 4 and as many as 9 players (cause that's about as big as our group).

Mainly, what I'm doing is kinda using the excellent roleplayers in this wonderful forum to help me test the viability of a campaign that I'm planning to run with my table-top D&D group.  Now the group that I'm playing with has no where near the elite gaming skills of members of this forum, but I figure if I can chip off some of the more obivious problems here, then maybe we won't have such a god awful problem in the group.

Now, for some details...

"For over 15 years, Lain d'Nirae has traveled the world above the Underdark she spent her childhood in, training and struggling to achieve the abilities that would allow her to return to the Underdark and accomplish the greatest goal of her life so far.  To either rescue her mother, Nirae d'Elesandr, from the Drow that have long held her victim, or avenge her death at their hands.  

For long years, she gathered to her all rumors and comments that she could get from the Underdark about her missing mother.  Each lead she tracked back as close as she could to their source, only to be dissappointed at the bloody end of her travels.  Then, at the end of a trail that led her almost into the clutches of the SpiderQueen herself, she learns of a lead that could lead her into the most dangerous place at all... the home of the Daughters of Lollith.

Now, she has gathered to her a group of adventures that aren't adverse to decending into those tretcherous depths in search of treasure or magic.  But, she's conviently failed to mention that they are actually heading into one of the most dangerous places in the Underdark, putting them in harm's way risking more than just life and limb, but also their souls."

Well... that's the basics.  If enough are interested, I'll expand further.
nto the Darkness
Into the Depths of Reality
At The Edge of Insanity
At The End of Creation
There I Am

CyMage

Hmmm... What's the level range for the characters?  Any prohibitions on basic classes or PrCs?  Race restrictions?  Aligment?  3.0 or 3.5?

Also what kind of a posting rate do you expect?  I personaly can't promise much more then one or two posts per day.  Even if it is to tick off Lolth.
He's history...play with fire and you get burned."-Magus

And then the mage drew his two handed sword.  "Shit! We're screwed!"

Priss

First off, it will be straight 3.0.  I view 3.5 as merely an update that could have been released via update leaflets and is just a way for WotC to try and gouge more cash out of a group that is notoriously lacking in it, and thus is a significant waste of money.  As a result, I refuse to use any of the materials for it. ^_^;

Posting rate will be satisfactory at one or two per day per player, unless a reason is given for absence prior to the absence (or _very_ shortly following).

Level range is mainly between 10th and 18th level.  There are a couple of higher (20 to 30+) level characters in the tabletop campaign this will eventually be ran in, but they are ran by the other two members of the DM team (there are three of us who take turns running adventures) and are effectively more like NPCs.  Most of the player characters are 10th to 18th, and I'd like to stay in that level area to try and avoid going too hard or too easy on them.

There are no prohibitions against any basic classes, though prestige classes will be allowed only following a review.  Racial restrictions are few, and are mainly in that there really aren't any "exotics", meaning try and keep it to the basic races (elven, human, dwarven, gnomish, halfling, half-orc).  If you feel that you absolutely must play an "exotic" (anything that isn't a basic race), then you'll need to come up with a plausible backstory for your character as well as look forwards to accepting a few disadvantages to balance the character out.

Personally, I usually restrict characters' alignments to nothing worse than neutral in the good to evil scale, but as the campaign that this will later be run in has characters that are mostly neutral to evil (no good for the most part), I feel that putting in an alignment restriction would be pointless.  Be advised though that Lain d'Nirae (who will be an NPC) is a half-drow (with the hatreds that go with that, both from drow (for existing) and everyone else (for being half-drow)) who is a true neutral ranger specializing in the Underdark and speed/stealth techniques.  The person you are searching for is her mother, Nirae d'Elesandr, who is a chaotic neutral ranger who speacializes in sea-faring and survival techniques.  Many of the NPCs in the Underdark are evil, of various alignments.

I won't have everything prepared to run until next week at the earliest (I need to get Lain's sheet back from one of my co-DMs for one), but if people want to start sending in characters for review and acceptance, that'd help us get started sooner.

Oh... and as some who've seen me RP in here (and on IRC) before may have noticed, I have no problems with things becoming "political" so long as it stays _in_ game and doesn't come outside of it.  In other words, make alliances and what not if you will, just be advised that like in that goofy TV show "Survivor", an alliance doesn't nessicarily mean loyalty.
nto the Darkness
At The Edge of Insanity
At The End of Creation
There I Am

Carthrat

Vauge Intrest, j0.

Clarification Required! O_O

1) Level's 10-18? That's, uh, quite a gap. Can we round it off somewhere?
2) Therefore, how much cash do we start with?
3) You're not somewhere where I can talk to you, dammit. AIM! IRC! ;_;
[19:14] <Annerose> Aww, mouth not outpacing brain after all?
[19:14] <Candide> My brain caught up

Priss

The 10 to 18 range is cause that's the lowest to highest levels for the group.  But if you want more specific, let's halve it and say 14th level.

Cash-wise is going to vary via class.  Going by the base set + 50 (modified by level) gold should be a good rule, but you'll need to take out your equipment from the total if it's higher than say... 300 gp.

And, I'm around on IRC, just not very often. ^_^;

Oops!  I forgot earlier!  There are no psiconics (sp) in this campaign.  I forgot they exist in D&D 3e. ^_^;;;
nto the Darkness
At The Edge of Insanity
At The End of Creation
There I Am

Prince Herb

Ooh!   Ooh!   Can I play?

I'd like to be a sword singer of Eilistraee, please!

CyMage

Oh, yes.  Character generation?  Point buy would probably be the best to give everyone an equal chance...

Figment

I'm vaguely interested as well, I'd like to know which character creation method you're going to use.

Priss

Cy's right.  Point buy is going to work best with this.  Give me a day or so and I'll figure out the base amount of points.  

I'd do it now, but at the moment I'm kinda dealing with the results of sleep deprevation added to way too much overtime.  ^_^;

I should have it by tomorrow though. ;p
nto the Darkness
At The Edge of Insanity
At The End of Creation
There I Am

Carthrat

Clarification on the money issue; we're getting the base starting cash plus a little extra?

Does that mean we'll only afford basic starting equipment, like your average longsword and whatnot? 'cos if we're tanking around in level 14ish characters, that seems a little low for what would be hardened adventurers. >_>

CyMage

I'm guessing she means level 14 starting money.    The chart is somewhere in the DMG.

Carthrat

Yeah, it's $150,000. I'm just a little confused by the 300gp remark. >_>

CyMage

I read it as 'Anything under 300gp is standard equipment and free.'  Though I'll wait for a clarification too.

Priss

Sorry it took me so long to get back to this.  I got slammed with a couple of double shifts at work.  -_-;

Alright.  Clarifications.  Since I left things entirely too vauge. ^_^;

Allowed Races:  Human, Elven, Halfling, Darwven, Gnomish, Half-Orcish, Half-Elven (please specify subrace for half-breeds)

Non-Allowed Exotics:  (Please note that these are exotic that will be not allowed for any reason, no matter how good it might be.)  Giant-kin (any), Alaghi, Bugbear, Centaur, Minotaur, Ogre, Saurial, Wemic, Demon (any), Dragon (any),  Outsider (any), or any half-breed of any of these.

Allowed Classes: Barbarian, Bard, Cleric (must specify deity), Druid (only one though), Fighter, Monk, Paladin (this one is a maybe, I'm not sure if it'll work in this adventure yet.  No mount), Ranger, Rouge, Wizard.

Non-Allowed Classes:  (Please note that these are classes or prestige classes that will not be allowed for any reason due to too much power.)  Sorceror, Necromancer, Adept, Mage, Arcane Duelist.  More may be added to this list.

Character Creation:  Standard Point Buy System.  All abilities start at 8, and are modified with 28 points to spread out amongst them.  1 to 1 ratio for up to 14 then 2 points per rank.

Feats:  Subject to approval.  Start with 5 feats.

Skills:  Subject to approval.  Start with level 14 skill points for your character.  Max class ranks 17, cross-class 8.5.  

Hit Points:  Start with max for level 14 of your character.  However, if you really want to roll for your hit points, I'm not going to argue with a lower amount.  (This number is just for my reference so I can figure your injuries.)

Money & Equipment:  Start with level 14 gold.  All equpiment under 300 gp is considered previously acquired equpiment, anything over 300 gp is subtracted from starting gold.  Equpiment subject to approval.

That should help things a bit. Oh... and a side note.  There will be a lot of travel in underground areas.  You can play a tall character, but realize that they will be uncomfortable at least once or twice on this adventure. ^_^;
nto the Darkness
At The Edge of Insanity
At The End of Creation
There I Am

Prince Herb

Character Creation:  Standard Point Buy System.  All abilities start at 8, and are modified with 28 points to spread out amongst them.  1 to 1 ratio for up to 14 then 2 points per rank.

I assume you get the bonus 1 point/4 levels as well, for another 3 points.

Feats:  Subject to approval.  Start with 5 feats.

Plus any bonuses for class?   And do you get the extra feat if you're a human?