Started by Dracos, December 21, 2004, 08:14:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Edward

Quote from: Brian on October 18, 2011, 01:11:27 PM
This actually happened:

http://ghiblicon.blogspot.com/2008/12/warriors-of-wind.html

That's just....

Wow.

I'd forgotten just how spectacularly they butchered that.  And the cover art and blurb are more ridiculously inaccurate than I'd expected. 

That's the last time Studio Ghibli let anyone edit their works to make them more "marketable".
If you see Vampire Hikaru Shidou, it is Fox.  No one else does that.  You need no other evidence." - Dracos

"Huh? Which rant?" - Gary

"Do not taunt Happy Fun Servitor of the Outer Gods with your ineffective Thompson Submachine Gun." - grimjack

Dracos

Quote from: Brian on October 19, 2011, 03:01:09 AM
Speaking of cash-grabs and the general devaluation of anything short of profit (Drac and I had an ... interesting discussion about that and Ikea furniture before watching Paprika):

http://insertcredit.com/2011/09/22/who-killed-videogames-a-ghost-story/

Stomach-churning.  I actually worked for Zynga for a week and a half.  This is one of the major reasons I couldn't convince myself to stay there longer.

Well, also the commute and the manager who swore at us all the time -- not a professional workshop by any means.

Yeah, I've been bugged a few times for them, not that I move much anyway, but really, I'm glad to sail my ship into the horizon of doom instead of actively trying to build stuff to destroy people's lives.
Well, Goodbye.

Jason_Miao

Quote from: Dracos on October 19, 2011, 06:30:19 PM
Yeah, I've been bugged a few times for them, not that I move much anyway, but really, I'm glad to sail my ship into the horizon of doom instead of actively trying to build stuff to destroy people's lives.

I read that article a few days ago.  I didn't think it was about destroying people's lives, per se, but is interesting how little meaningful content is actually required to keep someone engaged.

My general rule these days, when trying to determine whether to get a computer game, is to ask someone who is a fan to describe the game.  If they describe it in terms of genre or mechanics "Well, it's a 4x world conquest game that lets you start at any point in history, but instead of being turn-based, it works on a continually running clock..." then it might be worth looking into.  When it's mostly in terms of setting, I usually give it a pass, because if they can't really discuss what's fun about that, then the gameplay might not be really all that fun in the first  place.

Arakawa

My only experience with the Sims has consisted of watching someone play the old PC version for about five minutes. After five minutes I felt like I'd just been exposed to the most **ed up barrage of emotional manipulativeness I'd ever been exposed to. That was on the PC version.

I don't even want to know about the pay-per-play iPhone variant.
That the dead tree with its scattered fruit, a thousand times may live....

---

Man was made for Joy & Woe / And when this we rightly know / Thro the World we safely go / Joy & Woe are woven fine / A Clothing for the soul divine / Under every grief & pine / Runs a joy with silken twine
(from Wm. Blake)

Dracos

Well, Goodbye.

Brian

Can you find me a copy of Nimoy's or Shatner's Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds?  I have this vague, super-unclear memory of hearing it (can't remember which one -- probably Shattner?  Did Nimoy even do one?) when I was like ... eight.  I don't know why, but I've been looking for them for a while....

In the meantime, I offer you a happy story about a short fellow who accomplished a tall task....

No, not you, Drac. ;)
I handle other fanfic authors Nanoha-style.  Grit those teeth!  C&C incoming!
Prepare to be befriended!

~exploding tag~

Merc

The Stanley Parable, a Half-Life 2 mod that's basically a choose your own adventure story.

If you can't apply the mod or not really interested in spending time on it, you can also just watch video of the playthrough/multiple endings in Youtube.
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Jon

Yuthirin

What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Brian

This isn't a parody, but ... it sure feels like one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mn3OfkDgEho

And, to wash your eyes, one man's quest to win a bicycle race ... without brakes (an old classic; go, Kintaro!):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HM4kwGLqHIc
I handle other fanfic authors Nanoha-style.  Grit those teeth!  C&C incoming!
Prepare to be befriended!

~exploding tag~

Sinom Bre

Quote from: Jon on October 20, 2011, 02:29:27 PM
Hey everyone, I brought you something.

Consider yourself on my short To-Die list. :)

Quote from: Brian on October 27, 2011, 08:52:51 PM
This isn't a parody, but ... it sure feels like one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mn3OfkDgEho

When nothing will do but the very best in your window-walled toilet area in front of everyone in the city.
"If there is anything the nonconformist hates worse than a conformist, it's another nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standard of nonconformity." -Bill Vaughan
"Why do you have to be a nonconformist like everybody else?" -James Thurber
"Never appeal to a man's 'better nature'. He may not have one. Invoking his self-interest gives you more leverage." -Robert A. Heinlein
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split..." –Conan the Cimmerian, The Tower of the Elephant by Robert E. Howard
"Well, it's like the man says... Never take life too seriously; you'll never get out of it alive." -Bugs Bunny, Rabbit's Feat, 1960

Dracos

ah fun to see the Bicycle Race again.
Well, Goodbye.

Kt3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlK5abIJRyM

Genki Sudo came out with another video not too long ago.  Good stuff as always from them.
I think we live our lives in other people's hearts and minds. Alone by ourselves we're not very much good at all. But when we let someone else in with their stories and all their sights and sounds and songs and smells and sensations, we suddenly start filling our shelves and boxes with books and books of them and building up our libraries.