News:

Because we're grown ups now, and its our turn to decide what that means.

Main Menu

POST OF THE DAY

Started by Dracos, December 21, 2004, 08:14:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaldrak

Quote from: Arakawa Seijio on July 08, 2014, 12:15:26 AMHe does have to recite about 700 names over his potato salad as he's making it. And "invite the Internet" (everyone who pledged over $10), whatever the __ that means.

This is the laziest stupid Kickstarter ever and still he hasn't thought through how he's actually going to pull it off.

Quote from: Anastasia on July 08, 2014, 11:42:49 AM
Man. I work my ass off to make a few hundred bucks a month and he gets over a hundred times that to make potato salad. It's a strange world.

Oh, but it's so much worse then you guys think. As of this writing, his kickstarter has topped 57,000 dollars, with over 4,600 backers. Assuming nothing changes, a comprehensive look at the pledge rewards and their numbers reveals that:

1. He has to say the names of all 4,600 backers out loud while he makes the potato salad. In addition, he needs to post a 'thank you' for each of them on his website.
2. He needs to send out almost 3,200 photos of himself making the potato salad.
3. He needs to send out almost 2,349 'bites' of potato salad. That...sounds like more than a little bit of a logistical problem right there.
4. About 1,570 people get to 'choose a potato salad appropriate' ingredient to add to the potato salad. This...this sounds really bad. Imagine having the input of over a thousand people on your recipe!
5. 1,140 people get to 'hang out in the kitchen' with him while he makes the potato salad. That better be a daaaaamn big kitchen, assuming anyone even wants to, of course.
6. It's at this point that he appears to have realized that he's a bit in over his head, as he restricts the $20 category to only 4 people. So, 4 people get the 'potato madness' package, which consists of 'a potato salad themed haiku' their name carved into a potato that will be used in the potato salad, a signed jar of mayonnaise, and the potato salad recipe.
7. He has to send at least 846 potato salad themed hats to people, which means he needs to purchase them first, and then ship them, which he's going to have to figure out how to do and pay for, which I suppose he'll have plenty of money to do so, but it still sounds like a giant headache to me.
8. He has to purchase and send around 620 limited edition t-shirts from some company called Homage.
9. And here I realize that my math is off somewhere, but the numbers keep changing. Oh well! It appears he only has to order and ship about 80 books with 'potato salad recipes inspired by each country where we have a backer' whatever that means.

It's hilarious just how much work this guy has to do if he wants to try and honor all of the pledges. And then there are his totally random stretch goals, which include throwing a pizza party to which the 'internet' is invited. I...words fail me.

I think people are backing him just because of the news articles his campaign has generated lately. Some of them have likely realized just what a huge amount of work he has to do to pull this off and are backing him just to be jerks. The pledged amount keeps fluctuating as well. Earlier today it was at $65,000!! The comments section is a strange mixture of humor and people trying to leech off the success of the campaign and there are likely copycat kickstarter campaigns springing up everywhere now. I for one, don't really blame the guy for this. I blame the backers. How did this snowball into this crazy situation?

I agree with Anastasia, it's a funny old world, folks.
"Do what you want to do. Do what you like doing. Write the stories you want to see written and give other people the same courtesy. That is all that is important."

Carthrat

It's a Kickstarter.

He can fail and snag the money.
[19:14] <Annerose> Aww, mouth not outpacing brain after all?
[19:14] <Candide> My brain caught up

Dracos

Carth's absolutely right, but yeah, it's not a shame for the guy doing the ridiculous thing.  It's a shame for the gigantic number of hipsters putting money into it for ironic humor (or whatever they decide it is).  It's also a shame because sending a tremendous windfall to someone being a public idiot only tells other people to be public idiots, as dozens of copy-cat folks are doing.  That's exactly how it snowballs in that direction btw.  Who isn't even momentarily tempted with "Wow, this guy is being a moron in his kitchen for an HOUR an getting close to many people's yearly paychecks.  Man, maybe I should try that stupid."  It's the same garbage that is why the iphone (and arcade) market got flooded with shitty clones by people paying 2-500 dollars to shitty coders to hack together flappy bird clones.  Because people looked at it and realized that for a tiny bit of effort, there was potentially thousands in money delivered by idiots.  Easy profit is a hell of an incentive for the majority of lazy or desperate people.
Well, Goodbye.

Dracos

<Music-chan> http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/bunny  INTERNET HISTORY
<dracos> oh that's ancient. :)
<Music-chan> I love it. :D
<Music-chan> It's back when animations were starting to get really good.
<eternaleye> Music-chan: https://i.imgur.com/XiwOc.jpg (re: Iron Man and hammer-wielding heroes)
* Music-chan squints.
<Music-chan> ha! Though that is not the easiest to read
<Iddy> I've seen recent animations that are worse than that.
<Music-chan> http://sambakza.net/works_tsi/tsi_main.html  still my favourite.
<dracos> There She is (and its sequels) are awesome.
<dracos> and you are a great person for bringing them back up.

Something more positive.
Well, Goodbye.

KLSymph

"With rage as your forge, your hammer can smite anything."

With rage... as forge, your hammer... smite...?

What does that even mean!?

Arakawa

Quote from: KLSymph on July 13, 2014, 12:57:09 AM
With rage... as forge, your hammer... smite...?

What does that even mean!?

It means some guy was not being paid nearly enough to come up with these fake-ass aphorisms to put on the Magic Cards.

(I think the old series quoted random fantasy literature instead of coming up with their own thing?)
That the dead tree with its scattered fruit, a thousand times may live....

---

Man was made for Joy & Woe / And when this we rightly know / Thro the World we safely go / Joy & Woe are woven fine / A Clothing for the soul divine / Under every grief & pine / Runs a joy with silken twine
(from Wm. Blake)

Merc

<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

KLSymph

Quote from: Arakawa Seijio on July 13, 2014, 06:08:26 PM(I think the old series quoted random fantasy literature instead of coming up with their own thing?)

Old sets used to quote real-world sources.  Then it was restricted to Core Sets.  No such quotes in this year's, apparently.

"The key to unlocking this puzzle is within you." -- Doriel, mentor of Mistral Isle

You've been saying this since Magic 2010, and every time I can clearly see you pulling the key out of a bowl of magic water.

You are a bad mentor and you should be ashamed.

Anastasia

Ah, picking at Magic cards. That brings back some memories.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Kaldrak

"Do what you want to do. Do what you like doing. Write the stories you want to see written and give other people the same courtesy. That is all that is important."

KLSymph

Batman, according to Final Fantasy character designer Tatsuya Nomura.

...Needs more belts.

Anastasia

Batman with powered armor? Feels really Batman Beyond-ish.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

DY

Quote from: Anastasia on July 24, 2014, 10:34:32 AM
Batman with powered armor? Feels really Batman Beyond-ish.

Hmm, it does feel like Batman Beyond. Only with heavier armor. Looks pretty awesome though.
My name is Vash the Stampede. I have been a hunter of peace who chases the mayfly known as love for many, many moons now. There is no rest for me in my search for peace. I meditate diligently every morning. The subjects are life and love. I quit after 3 seconds.

Arakawa

http://www.ibtimes.com/how-lego-movie-everything-awesome-parody-creeping-everyday-fascism-1555165

Kind of silly.

In the future, fascism will be propagated using catchy pop music and My Little Ponies :-P
That the dead tree with its scattered fruit, a thousand times may live....

---

Man was made for Joy & Woe / And when this we rightly know / Thro the World we safely go / Joy & Woe are woven fine / A Clothing for the soul divine / Under every grief & pine / Runs a joy with silken twine
(from Wm. Blake)