News:

"With great power comes the opportunity to abuse that power."

Main Menu

Chapter 1: Awakenings

Started by Merc, August 08, 2005, 11:22:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Merc

OOC: You may have heard of him, but not had any reason to particularly pay attention to his name or news of him. So the name sounds familiar but not much else.

IC: "Oddly enough, no," Shuichi notes, tapping a quill against his chin. "He's not badly off per say, but I doubt his army could take some of the worst youkai that used to come around these parts."

Looking at you in an analyzing manner once more, he seems to debate saying more. Finally he seems to make up his mind as he adds, "Between you and me, young man, it's my opinion that the youkai have grown afraid of something and don't want to gain it's attention. No one takes me seriously though, I mean, a youkai? Afraid?"

Misha is meanwhile fidgeting by Miroku's side, wondering if she should remain to watch over the monk, or going back to work outside the village.
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Edward

"That is an interesting theory, Shuichi-san, and I do take you seriously.  It seems to me that the yokai would be most likely to fear another, more powerful yokai."
If you see Vampire Hikaru Shidou, it is Fox.  No one else does that.  You need no other evidence." - Dracos

"Huh? Which rant?" - Gary

"Do not taunt Happy Fun Servitor of the Outer Gods with your ineffective Thompson Submachine Gun." - grimjack

Merc

"That, or a powerful priest. There were rumors that Lord Oshimaru's son was striken by some unexplainable malady, which no one could dispell...none until the baboon clothed man, that is," Shuichi explains.

Misha tugs at Miroku's robes here. "I need to get back to work, Miroku-sama, or my sister will likely get angry. If you need more help though..." she offers before taking off.

Edward

"My apologies for keeping you, Misha-chan," the monk smiles.  "If your sister is angry, please explain the fault was mine.  And I appreciate your generous offer of future help.  Where should I look for you, then?"

He watches her leave, then turns back to Shuichi.

"That is a very unusual garment for a priest," Miroku says.  "Perhaps the baboon clothed man is some sort of sorceror?'

OOC: Does Miroku know enough to suspect who the baboon clothed man probably is?

"I'm curious, are there any places the yokai used to live that they appear to have abandoned?"
If you see Vampire Hikaru Shidou, it is Fox.  No one else does that.  You need no other evidence." - Dracos

"Do not taunt Happy Fun Servitor of the Outer Gods with your ineffective Thompson Submachine Gun." - grimjack

Merc

He shrugs. "I can't say much about the baboon fellow, all I know is from rumors of him, and even though he apparently comes and goes from Lord Oshimaru's place at times, not a lot of people have really talked with him," he notes with a frown. "To be honest, the only reason rumors have spread about him is that nobody's even heard of a youkai attacked since that fellow showed up at Lord Oshimaru's door. It's why I say they're afraid of something. I think they're afraid of -him-."

"And I might have been reckless in my youth, fought a few youkai along with the other villagers, but can't say I was ever reckless enough to go looking for a youkai's home, no sir. Sorry son, but if you want answers to such questions, this village isn't the place to get them," he apologizes.

OOC: No, at this point he shouldn't have any clue that it's Naraku.

Edward

"Well, it is good to hear that the priest is so powerful, " Miroku replies.  "And he seems quite modest to not be taking credit for driving off the yokai."

"But you say you have fought yokai in your younger days.  If you've got the time, I'd like to hear all about it."

Merc

"Well, I certainly can't take the credit by just myself, it was a team effort you see," he replies modestly. "There were some very nasty ogres back in my day, and one had to be careful."

For his modesty, he does spend an hour or two telling tales of ogres and other relatively small fry youkai and Miroku could guess he was probably telling the truth. It shouldn't be impossible to defeat some of the monsters Shinichi mentioned for even untrained men if they fought together.

Certainly no knowledge of Naraku though in his tales it seems. Pity.

Edward

"I must say you and the men of your village did well, Shuicihi-san.  In far too many places the people would have just run, but they would not have escaped."

"With this mysterious priest the center of Lord Oshimaru's territory, the greater yokai will fear to approach.  And so long as the young men of the village show the same courage and skill that you did in your younger days."

"I myself, seek a very powerful yokai."  he smiles wryly.  "It is a heritage handed to me by my ancestors."

OOC: Did Miroku's father or grandfather ever describe Naraku, or does he only know the name?

"And in my travels, I have fought lesser of the creatures." the monk continues.  "I know that you said you never sought out the yokai's lairs, and that was wise Shuichi-san, but were they known to come from a particular forest or mountain or swamp or something?"

Merc

He just shrugs again, taking the praise in kind and answering your question. "I'm sorry, young man, but I really don't know enough about these things to help you. Why don't you try visiting Lord Oshimaru's home? Perhaps you will find this babboon priest and find some answers with him," he suggests.

Edward

"Perhaps," Miroku replies,"though as you said, the baboon priest comes and goes.  Can you tell me how far and in which direction Lord Oshimaru's home is?"

Merc

"True. Well, if you still wish to head there, just head out through the north exit and follow the dirt road. It'll take about a two days and a half of travel with a good horse, but the road goes all the way there," Shinichi relays of the directions. "You'll be going through one more village before arriving there, so you won't need to stock too heavily on food either if you're low."

Edward

"Unfortunately, I'm a bit short of water.  Is there a suitable stream or well around?"

Merc

The village head nods at that. "There is a well right by the north side of the village. Feel free to take water as you need it."

Edward

"Thank you, Shuichi-san."  Miroku replies.  "I am a bit short of food as well.  Normally, I would deal with whatever yokai are present and accept whatever reward the people were willing to spare."

But this place seems a bit too safe for the standard trick with hachi to work,he thinks.  And if the man in the baboon robes is about, far too dangerous for Hachi.

"I have aquired a variety of things given by well-wishers previously."

At least they seemed to be waving when I escaped, er, that is left. he thinks.

"So I was hoping to trade some of them for food, or money I can use to purchase food on the way, if it's not too much trouble for you."

Merc

"Hrm, well, feel free to 'set up shop' as you will somewhere in town and try trading, if you have items you think might catch the eye of the villagers," he muses.