News:

Populated by the admins and moderators of your other favorite sites!

Main Menu

Arc 1: Dreams of Heroism

Started by Bjorn, October 01, 2006, 03:05:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rezantis

"I'm not entirely sure I like that," Nathan chimes in unhelpfully, "I mean, they seem polite enough, but I'd sort of like to work out the deal with the humans before we get too comfortable dealing with the Fae.  We might get answers, but I'm not really sure those answers would explain very much . . ."

Nathan shrugs.  "I don't know."
Hangin' out backstage, waiting for the show.

Brian

"Alright," Brian says with a sigh.  "I say we go with the Fae -- for now. I think they might be easier to get away from, and we can sell whatever we learn to the humans for survival if it comes down to it."  He pauses, then winces.  "I may sound cold, but understand, dying is low on my agenda.  Though, part of this is 'cause I feel like Thomas Covenant.  Is this a real world?  I don't know.  Maybe I hit my head and this is just the best coma ever.  But, that's my vote."
I handle other fanfic authors Nanoha-style.  Grit those teeth!  C&C incoming!
Prepare to be befriended!

~exploding tag~

Halbarad

"I'll go with the Fae as well for now," Tim agrees. "The language barrier is annoying but can be dealt with, and if our friend here is any indication we should get answers from them quickly. Or figure out quickly that we're not going to get anywhere. I'm not sure even Brian's talking the same language they are."
I am a terrible person.
Excellent Youkai.

Brian

"Well," Brian says, walking after the Fae, "it also gives us an excuse to talk about them behind their backs.  We just need to be sure they can't magically translate whatever we say, or don't learn the language too quickly."

~exploding tag~

Rezantis

Nathan plods along after Brian.

"Well, what's the worst that can happen?"

Brian

"Don't say things like that!" Brian says, shaking his head, but not actually looking back at Nathan.  "If I've learned one thing from playing way too many RPGs, it's that saying things like that gets you into a random encounter faster than you can say 'disposable NPC'."

~exploding tag~

Bjorn

The march goes on for several hours more.  The forest is endless, and you've lost track of which way you've been going, except that you've seen no sign of the river since before you ran into the Fae.

Soon, though, even with the dense foliage, you can tell that it's growing dark.  Your Fae guide, however, shows no signs of stopping, though exhaustion is dragging at you.

Brian

"How much further do we have to go?" Brian asks the guide somewhat peevishly.  For all that he can walk far, and does, he's used to sidewalks and streets.  This 'uneven forest floor with roots and gopher holes' thing is wearing thin, and will be (strictly speaking) old hat by the time it gets dark.  It's been too many years since Boy Scouts.

~exploding tag~

Bjorn

Milfanetya has been ranging some distance ahead, but Brian's question brings him back.  "Five days."

Rezantis

Nathan is starting to look fairly tired.  While walking isn't a problem, lugging armour while doing it is.

"What was that about?"

Brian

Brian shoots a worried glance back at Nathan, but asks, "Are we going to stop to break camp before we get there?"

Then he turns to his friend and says in English, "Uh, he says we're about five days walk away at this pace."

~exploding tag~

Bjorn

Mifanetya stops, and looks back.  "You need rest?"

Brian

"We will soon," Brian returns.  "We're also not really so great at walking in the dark, anyway."

~exploding tag~

Bjorn

"Dark will be soon," Mifanetya.  "Rest here."

Without another word, he vanishes into the woods.

Brian

"Okay," Brian relates to his friends, coming to a halt.  "Apparently we're supposed to rest here, and move on in the morning.  Which I guess is good; I'm not used to hiking for long stretches anymore."

~exploding tag~