News:

You have made a powerful enemy today, stop sign.

Main Menu

Random DM nagging.

Started by Anastasia, August 06, 2011, 10:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nephrite

Question: Would Epic Inspiration work on all my different abilities that use bardic music uses? I.e. would it also increase my Fatesinger abilities by 1? I don't think it'd be terribly unbalanced if it did.

Anastasia

Adrian reaches level 25 and level 26.

- Rogue 17 and Planar Champion 14, both up by 2.
- 3 and 6 on a d10 for a total of 27 hit points and a grand total of 385 hit points.
- +2 BAB for a total of 26.
- Sneak attack+1d6 to +9d6. More damage is good.
- New rogue special ability. He selects opportunist. He may retrain this into a few in a few days, going back and forth on it. That or see if he can squeeze in savvy rogue somehow.
- Spell resistance +2 to 36.
- All saves rise by 1.
- Skills go up as normal.
- Gains Shared Planar Surviva(PC13) as a bonus feat.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on June 06, 2017, 01:56:07 PM
Greater Cone of Cold

Looks good. Let me make a version that isn't a straight copy/paste real quick.

Greater Cone of Cold
Evocation [Cold]
Level: Sor/Wiz 10, Water 10

As cone of cold, except with a maximum of 30d6 damage.

Quote:(

Sorry, but some domain spells being mediocre is just the nature of the beast. That and I really don't want to start swapping them around too much, it really is increasing my work load and making things need to be rejiggered, so the standard for doing so is high. Generally, a spell not being that good doesn't meet that standard.

QuoteMiracle of Health is actually Remove Disease on an epic scale. Remove Disease is the lvl3 slot for the domain, so I figure it works really well.
I figured Shape Soul should fit decently.
As for regen, there's a bunch of restoration spells in the domain so I thought they might work.

Miracle of Health works the best of the three and I think I'll go with that. Editing now.

Shape Soul I'm hesitant to use. The description notes it's rarely given to mortals, it isn't the sort of thing that really works on demand, since using it unwisely gets you smited. Like miracle, you don't cast it as much as politely request it and hope your deity agrees. It does fit thematically, though.

QuoteCan Many Moments of Prescience be Time 11? Then Superior Mighty Wallop works for War.

Done and done.

QuoteGreater Displacement

Remind me tomorrow, need to do a bit of DM homework on one part of this.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on June 06, 2017, 02:18:55 PM
I have question about the Burst of Glory writeup

Spoiler: ShowHide
Burst of Glory
Evocation [Good]
Level: Clr 12, Glory 12, Pal 12
Components: V, S, DF
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25ft/2 levels); see text
Effect: Rays; see text
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: Yes

This spell sends Bolts of Glory at every creature within range of the spell. See the spell on page 35 of the Spell Compendium. You roll spell resistance and your attack roll once and apply it to all targets within range. The maximum damage for each bolt is raised, up to 30d12 versus natives of the Negative Energy Plane, evil outsiders and undead; 14d12 versus neutral outsiders and inhabitants of the Material Plane or Elemental plane; good outsiders and creatures native to the Positive Energy Plane still take no damage.

Burst of Glory sends bolts at all creatures within range, even allies and creatures that would not be affected by the bolt.

Close range is 25ft+5ft/2 levels, so I'm confirming that the 25ft/2 levels range in the writeup is correct.

Also, neutral outsiders and others would probably be 15d12. It seems to be half the dice in Bolt of Glory, except there 15 divided by 2 ends up as 7.

That was a typo in range, fixed. Thanks!

I believe I just doubled the base values rather than recalculated it. The difference is negligible, so we'll go with that, sure.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on June 06, 2017, 03:01:08 PM
I know, I just wanted to do something a bit more different than 'this is the same spell except with a larger bonus'. I sorta get that the martyr's kiss spell has a real drawback, though I stuck to just a weapons boost and to a short duration to compensate.

As for sacred as opposed to enhancement, it's honestly unimportant. I don't think there are normally enhancement bonuses to attack and damage. Maybe drop the sacred/enhancement part altogether and call it a flat +10 to hit/to damage? Or +8, if you really think it's too much?

It was meant to be enhancement bonuses to Strength like the original spell, my reply got a bit mangled somehow and missed clarifying that. Whoops.

Anyway, work up a +8 version real quick.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Yuthirin on June 06, 2017, 03:15:00 PM
Firstly, again happy birthday, Dune.

Secondly, on the creation of dorjes:

The SRD states that the cost to create a dorje is 375 x Level of Power x level of caster.

However, the math they list for the sale of dorjes doesn't properly equate. I broke it down, and in actuality the math shows the cost to purchase a dorje is:

375 x Level of Power x TWICE the level of caster

What's your take on this?

Dorjes are wands, right? The prices in the SRD match that of SRD wands and seem to use that formula.

Where'd you get the formula for dorjes? I don't see it in the SRD offhand.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Nephrite on June 06, 2017, 03:24:30 PM
Quote from: Anastasia on June 06, 2017, 02:22:48 PM
Quote from: Nephrite on June 06, 2017, 01:24:58 PM
Because I love to nag: There are no Bard 8 divination spells currently (obviously the variant wasn't really designed with that in mind) could we work and come up with one? It seems like the class generally lowers the levels of other divination-related spells when it adds them to the bard list, as seen here: 4th—analyze dweomer (lowered from 6th), sending; 5th—contact other plane, greater scrying (lowered from 6th);

Thank you. :D

Go for it. Propose something reasonable and that fits or make a new spell.

I think it'd be reasonable for Bardic Sage to learn Foresight at 8 instead of 9, what do you think? (I still have to come up with a bard spell for 9, even saying that...)

Yeah, sure, that's fine. Just make a note about that on your sheet.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Yuthirin on June 06, 2017, 03:33:13 PM
Also, can Arrows of Spell Storing also store psionic powers?

RAW no but the way I run magic/psionics transparency, I'd allow it unless a particular combination is broken.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Nephrite on June 06, 2017, 05:44:32 PM
Trying to think of a spell that might fit into Bard 8th or 9th casting and probably fall into Cleric casting too.

Is it normal to add further progression / added spells for variant classes? I was thinking Bardic Sage could add the spell to the bard's spell list otherwise. Let me know your thoughts. I could just have it part of Bard casting by default, I don't think that it'd be terribly unbalanced at Bard 8 or something. Maybe the other schools could use a bump.

Erathaol's Insights
Divination
Level: Cleric 9, Wisdom 9, (Sorcerer 10, Wizard 10?) (Paladin something?)
Components: V, S,
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 10m/level

This spell ushers the wisdom and insights of Erathaol of the Hebdomad. While this spell is in effect, you gain an insight (sacred?) bonus equal to your caster level (Maximum +25) (CL/5 if sacred?) to all Knowledge checks and can make Knowledge checks untrained. In addition, you also receive the benefit of Scholar's Touch, Comprehend Languages, Read Magic (redundant?) spell for the duration.

If the additional spells make it too strong then you can bump the level up a bit or just take them out. Just trying to think of something that has a bit of flavor.

EDIT: I think it'd be fine to make this a "hidden" spell, perhaps only given to those who follow Erathaol, like the Lathanderite and Sunite spells.

Sounds awfully familiar.

Bibliotheca Arcana
Divination
Level: Clr 10, Sor/Wiz 10
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 minute
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 24 hours

You establish a connection with the platonic ideal of a library and fill your mind with lore. You gain a +15 insight bonus to all knowledge checks and may make knowledge checks untrained. This knowledge extends to knowledge of your own life. You you have perfect recall of your own memories for the duration of the spell. Effects that change your memories, such as modify memory or mindrape, are suppressed for the duration of the spell. You gain the ability to read and speak all languages during this time, as if affected by a comprehend languages and tongues spell. Finally, you may instantly absorb the information of any written material you touch, as if by a scholar's touch spell. For the duration of the spell, you have perfect recall of the material read in this manner.

Material Component

A miniature book.

(Turns out this wasn't in the Spell Collection. Odd oversight. Fixed now.)
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

That does look awfully familiar! Could you add it as a Bard 9 spell, perhaps?

Anastasia

Quote from: Iron Dragoon on June 07, 2017, 12:34:16 AM
Sheet updated with corrected saves and skill points distributed.

Edit: Taking Simmer's Surprise for Sorc 8 instead of Mystic Shield.

Cool, done.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Nephrite on June 07, 2017, 11:53:06 AMJust to be clear, Epic Bard still gets a feat at 23 and 26, while we get feats at 21, 24 and 27, right? Just making sure.

Correct.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on June 07, 2017, 11:58:05 AM
Quote from: Anastasia on June 06, 2017, 10:27:24 PM
- Gains 26th level cleric casting and +1 11th level spell slot. She develops a new spell, Hanna's Charge. Let me know if you all think it's too weak or strong.

Hanna's Charge
Transmutation
Level: Clr 11
Components: V
Range: 70ft
Area: All allies within a 70ft radius burst centered on you.
Duration: 1 round/5 levels
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance No

All allies (including yourself) within 70ft gain a +5 bonus to attack rolls when charging and deal double damage with a charge attack. Additionally, creatures affected by this spell can charge through difficult terrain without penalty under this spell and do not provoke attacks of opportunity when making charges.

The +5 bonus to attack rolls when charging stacks with the normal +2 bonus when making a charge. The damage doubling when making a charge attack stacks with dire charge and similar boosts. Remember that two doublings equal a tripling and so forth.

After careful review I think this is an awesome spell! It does, however, have a few weak spots I would like to go into.

Okay! While anything to make charging scarier is not bad by default, here are a few things:
-The duration means that you have ~5 rounds of it going by your CL by the time you get the spell. How often do you charge on subsequent rounds? It's not a pounce, after all. You'd end up remaining in melee more often than not. So it's good for 2 charges a casting at most, probably?
-It's also a standard action spell that makes you waste an action, and not everyone has my quicken hax to get around that. I realize that this is more of a commander/marshal thing, but no reason Hanna can't benefit properly from her own spell. How about a long-duration spell (per hour, per 10min...) that's precast but then activated when you decide you want it? Like Divine Insight and similar spells.

2 charges on average, yeah. Spikes higher or lower depending on circumstances. Of course, ideally your allies also charge so it's more than just the charges you make with it.

I thought about it, but it made it too complicated and too easy to precast and call on whenever. It's banking an action to do it later, and I wasn't happy with the balance I got with that. To be honest, I also disagree with your sentiment that Hanna can't properly benefit from it as written. She has to delay her charge a round, but that just means she casts it a round before she needs to charge or bats cleanup in the next round - charge whatever survived the initial rush with the intent of finishing them off.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Nephrite on June 07, 2017, 12:29:25 PM
Question: Would Epic Inspiration work on all my different abilities that use bardic music uses? I.e. would it also increase my Fatesinger abilities by 1? I don't think it'd be terribly unbalanced if it did.

I'd allow it on a case by case basis.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Nephrite on June 07, 2017, 01:45:15 PM
That does look awfully familiar! Could you add it as a Bard 9 spell, perhaps?

For now just count as bardic sage available for 9th level. I'll consider it in general, but that'll cover you regardless.
<Afina> Forever.