News:

I have a dream that one day, men will be punched in the face not for the color of their skin, but for the awful content of their character.

Main Menu

Random DM nagging.

Started by Anastasia, August 06, 2011, 10:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iron Dragoon

Okay, I went through searching some 40-50-odd pages of Nagging to find a specific post and came across a handful of things that got missed. Listing these in the order they were found:

Quote from: Anastasia on October 25, 2016, 02:58:53 PM
Quote from: Nephrite on October 21, 2016, 11:07:25 PM
Is there any way to make them into sort of like Anti-Magic grenades? Such that they can be thrown and detonated (by command word?) at range to create areas of anti-magic?

Yes, though you'd need to work it out and there would be a price increase.

This:
Quote from: Anastasia on February 22, 2017, 12:07:48 PM
Quote from: Corwin on February 20, 2017, 04:43:54 PM
Let's make this! I really want it!

Add long range spell capacity (Allows casting spells through Medicant and through the illusionary battlefield) 400,000 gold; 5 DC 50 spellcraft checks; 4 DC 50 K:A check; 10 days.

Up to y'all. If yo udo, post the expense to Aurora and make the rolls.

Was connected to this:

Quote from: Anastasia on February 22, 2017, 06:04:07 PM
Quote from: Iron Dragoon on February 22, 2017, 05:22:09 PM
Fine with me. I'd offer to take over buffing through it, but my spell slots are usually pretty taxed just with the Tapestry. So unless I can connect the Tapestry to it, I don't really have enough slots to do it =/

That might juuuust be possible but you'd have to do some research and see. The principals aren't entirely dissimilar.

So I need to do the research here.

This never got re-mentioned or re-referenced, unless I missed it in a IC Thread:
Quote from: Anastasia on June 09, 2017, 12:39:11 AM
Meanwhile, Ellese works to save herself.

<Serith> Tiny_Ko_Army roll for Serith < 20 > [d20=12]
> roll 1d20+5 Ellese Wisdom
<Serith> Tiny_Ko_Army roll for Serith < 7 > [d20=2]
> roll 1d20+8 Charisma
<Serith> Tiny_Ko_Army roll for Serith < 13 > [d20=5]
> roll 1d20+5 Ellese Intelligence
<Serith> Tiny_Ko_Army roll for Serith < 21 > [d20=16]
> roll 1d20+8 Ellese Charisma
<Serith> Tiny_Ko_Army roll for Serith < 23 > [d20=15]
<Serith> Tiny_Ko_Army roll for Serith < 16 > [d20=11]
<Serith> Tiny_Ko_Army roll for Serith < 13 > [d20=5]
> roll 1d20+5 Ellese Intelligence
<Serith> Tiny_Ko_Army roll for Serith < 24 > [d20=19]
<Serith> Tiny_Ko_Army roll for Serith < 26 > [d20=18]
<Serith> Tiny_Ko_Army roll for Serith < 7 > [d20=2]
<Serith> Tiny_Ko_Army roll for Serith < 26 > [d20=18]
<Serith> Tiny_Ko_Army roll for Serith < 17 > [d20=12]
<Serith> Tiny_Ko_Army roll for Serith < 24 > [d20=16]
<Serith> Tiny_Ko_Army roll for Serith < 8 > [d20=3]
<Serith> Tiny_Ko_Army roll for Serith < 27 > [d20=19]
<Serith> Tiny_Ko_Army roll for Serith < 19 > [d20=14]

More on this soon.

And this for Kascha:
Quote from: Anastasia on February 24, 2017, 01:05:02 AM
Quote from: Iron Dragoon on February 23, 2017, 11:05:27 PM
Quote from: Anastasia on February 23, 2017, 11:02:04 PM
The books form a complex, chaotic pattern that can be discerned.  Kascha's intellect and chaotic nature allow her to understand it, and also understand that attempts to bind this Abyssal lore have failed. She can proceed, but it will be dangerous.

I'll leave it up to Kascha to decide if she wants to keep going or not, though if she does, I would suggest she do so with help of Tepen or the like. Whoever specializes in knowledge like that.

She'll decline for the moment. It's a project and put it on the todo, but after a Cauldron visit and other matters are settled.
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Iron Dragoon

Second catch up post:

Quote from: Anastasia on February 24, 2017, 01:01:24 AM
As for the Surraruthru spells, could you check which ones I may need to post and check the Spell Collection to see if they're in there?

The Spell Collection entry for level 8 is missing the following Surraruthru Spells:
Everything in this post: http://www.soulriders.net/forum/index.php/topic,101729.msg1086632/topicseen.html#msg1086632

And this spell: http://www.soulriders.net/forum/index.php/topic,101729.msg1086030/topicseen.html#msg1086030
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Anastasia

Okay, the golem. Do you all mind if I take a crack at it? I didn't want to do that, I try to encourage you all to design and add your own content, but at this point I think it would be a lot quicker if I take it and polish something up, rather than us going back and forth.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Yuthirin

I don't care what you do to it, anything is better than radio silence.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Anastasia

Quote from: Yuthirin on July 26, 2017, 01:50:57 PM
I don't care what you do to it, anything is better than radio silence.

Sure thing.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Sunfire Purifier

Size/Type: Colossal Construct
Hit Dice: 48d10+48+96+192+80 (896 hp)
Initiative: -1
Speed: 20ft
Armor Class: 55 (-8 size, -1 dex, +50 natural, +4 deflection)(save vs blindness)
Base Attack/CMB/CMD: +48/+83/96
Attack: Slam+88 (6d10+48 plus 2d6 holy) or bite+83 (6d8+34 plus 2d6 holy)
Full Attack: 2 slams+88 (6d10+48 plus 2d6 holy) and bite+83 (6d8+34 plus 2d6 holy)
Space/Reach: 30ft/30ft
Special Attacks: Breath weapon, eye of dawn, sunlight strength, trample+6d10+40.
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 45/adamantine and epic, fast healing 35, immunity to fire and flanking, constructed toughness, magic immunity, on wings of light, toughness, construct traits.
Saves: Fort +34, Ref +33, Will +34
Abilities: Str 64, Dex 9, Con -, Int -, Wis 11, Cha 1 
Skills: -
Feats: Toughness(B)
Epic Feats: Epic Toughness(B)
Alignment: Neutral

Spell-Like Abilities

Always active-holy aura. Caster level 48th. The save DCs are 10 + spell level.

Breath Weapon (Su)

120ft line, once every 1d4 rounds, 30d8 goldenfire damage, Reflex save DC 65 half. The save DC is Strength based and includes a +4 racial bonus.

Additionally, creatures damaged by this breath weapon are subject to a banishment spell (caster level 25th, DC 65 Will negates).

Constructed Toughness (Ex)

The sunfire purifier gains toughness and epic toughness as bonus feats. It has maximum hit points per hit die.

Eye of Dawn (Ex)

The sunlight purifier has three eyes; one mounted on each side of its head and a single large eye in the center. The center of eye of the sunfire purifier is the eye of an elder astral dreadnought and it retains its anti magic properties. This eye projects a cone of sunlight and antimagic when open. This is a 120ft cone that affects all creatures within as an antimagic field. The sunlight purifier can redirect the eye once per round on its turn as a free action, as well as open or close it once per round on its turn as a free action.

Improved Grab (Ex)

To use this ability, the sunfire purifier must hit a Huge or smaller opponent with its bite attack. It can then make a CMB check as a free action to start a grapple without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the check, it establishes a hold and can try to swallow the foe the following round.

Magic Immunity (Ex)

The sunfire purifier is immune to all magical and supernatural effects.

Rampage (Ex)

Once per minute as a full round action, the sunlight purifier can charge at a single target within 120ft. This charge ignores difficult terrain and other impediments (barring those large enough to stop it). The sunlight purifier may pass through a square occupied by other creatures, any such creatures are subject to the sunlight purifier's trample attack. If this charge attack is successful, it deals double damage.

Sunfire Strength (Ex)

The sunfire purifier is powered by a potent engine that channels goldenfire throughout its body, vastly strengthening it. This grants it several benefits as described below.

The sunfire purifier's natural weapons are treated as having a +7 enhancement bonus and the holy special ability. The sunfire purifier's natural weapons are treated as adamantine, epic and good for the purposes of overcoming damage reduction. Additionally, the sunfire purifier benefits from a +14 sacred bonus to attack rolls and damage rolls with its natural attacks.

The sunfire purifier has good base attack bonus progression, like a fighter.

Swallow Whole (Ex)

The sunlight purifier can try to swallow a grabbed opponent of a smaller size than itself by making a successful CMB check. Once inside, the opponent takes 30d8 goldenfire damage per round from the sunlight purifier's breath weapon. A swallowed creature can cut its way out by using a light slashing or piercing weapon to deal 50 points of damage to the gizzard (AC 35). Once the craeture exits, fast healing closes the hole; another swallowed opponent must cut its own way out. The sunfire purifier's gullet can hold 2 Huge, 8 Large, 32 Medium, 128 Small, or 512 Tiny or smaller creatures.

Toughness (Ex)

The sunfire purifier is constructed of blessed adamantine purified with goldenfire. It gains a +15 sacred bonus to saving throws. It additionally gains an additional 4 hit points per hit die.

Trample (Ex)

Reflex DC 65 half. The save DC is Strength based and includes a +4 racial bonus.

On Wings of Light (Su)

At will, the sunfire purifier can manifest a massive set of wings made of sunlight as a standard action that does not provoke an attack of opportunity. These wings grant the sunlight purifier a fly speed of 40ft (clumsy).

While flying, the sunfire purifier cannot make a full attack. It is able to make a single slam attack, [placeholder for the moment until I get to that] or drop onto other creatures. Treat this as the sunlight purifier using its trample attack, except that it may use it on creatures of any size. In addition to the normal damage for the trample, creatures trampled suffer any fall damage the sunlight purifier suffered (use the same roll as the sunlight purifier to determine damage).

These wings last for 5 minutes before dissipating into scattered light.

<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Draft is up in the previous post. The goals of this were as follows.

1. Remove cruft and fiddly bits. Less overhead, especially things that don't matter much relative to what the monster does or fights, are usually a bad idea. This does remove some flavor from it, I admit freely. Stuff like bleaching armor and the like's awesome, but at the same time, I'm trying to smooth this out.
2. Simplify. This works both ways for balance - for example wings of light not longer provoke an AoO to manifest, for the sake of faster gameplay. Especially since the golem's subsequent movement potentially could provoke an AoO anyway. On the other hand, the breath weapon got toned down a bit and streamlined (and a considered bit of sunfire counting as one of those optional components for banishment was rejected on those grounds).
3. When possible, convert abilities to what they are and use the established rules for them. For example, see swallow whole replacing into the sunfire engine. It does much the same thing, but uses the language and rules of swallow whole, which it essentially is anyway. This aids gameplay, makes rules conflicts easier to resolve and provides a ready reference when references are needed.
4. Combine a few redundant abilities and reflavor them to fit the sunfire golem better.
5. Rebalancing a bit. I think the to hit is a little too high now, I aimed a bit high there. But overall adjust for losses and rejigger as needed.

What do you think? Good, bad, iffy?
<Afina> Forever.

Yuthirin

Damn, dude. You really cut all the flavor out of it. This is like watching a person cut all of the fat off of their steak.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Anastasia

Quote from: Yuthirin on July 26, 2017, 09:47:05 PM
Damn, dude. You really cut all the flavor out of it. This is like watching a person cut all of the fat off of their steak.

Honestly? I completely agree. One of the points of this was to simplify, flavor can be readded or put on an aside to be used properly.

At the same time, I do think some of the mechanics compensate and express flavor. For example, an always active holy aura. It's a golem made of shining adamantine and sunfire. Of course it's surrounded by a blinding holy aura. That shows something without directly stating it. The breath weapon hints at the sunfire engine, ectera and so forth. But that's also why I have flavor blocks in character and monsters, rather than cramming it all into the statistics. Abilities should tell a story, but at the same time, they're mechanical expressions and need a certain crispness and ease of use.
<Afina> Forever.

Yuthirin

Yeah, but you also cut like half the abilities without reason. And randomly changed a bunch of names I was real happy with. And pruned other abilities.

You talk about a flavor block, but I sure don't see one. Did this seriously take you sixteen days?

Anastasia

Quote from: Yuthirin on July 26, 2017, 09:57:13 PM
Yeah, but you also cut like half the abilities without reason. And randomly changed a bunch of names I was real happy with. And pruned other abilities.

You talk about a flavor block, but I sure don't see one. Did this seriously take you sixteen days?

Oh no, I did this in about an hour and some change. I had a few replies that got lost and/or got scrapped.

Didn't include a flavor block because this is a draft trying to streamline things. If it continues in this direction, I was planning on talking to you about that and seeing how to reintegrate the flavor stuff I cut.
<Afina> Forever.

Yuthirin

Let's put the flavor on hold and maybe give me an explanation about what abilities you cut and why, because that's actually helpful.

I'm trying not to let my frustration color the tone of my posting here, but god damn it's real difficult.

Anastasia

Uh, lessee.

The two hitting better ones were combined into a single ability for the sake of the flavor working better. More to hit, some damage and crit range loss.

The miss chance got trimmed for the sake of overhead, it was on the border so could go either way.

Flank immunity was simply included in the stat block above rather than being a separate ability.

Power of the sun was folded directly into the damage reduction and fast healing. I also boosted the fast healing a little higher on top of it.

The sunburst was trimmed 'cause there's plenty going on as it is. A breath weapon's there to track as well as some other things, adding another fiddly bit to make yet more upkeep struck me as a poor idea.

Bulwark was snipped because it's CMD is really high as it is (and I need to make sure I don't need to recalculate it and added in the sacred bonus) and does that job well enough, without adding in another immunity.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Unrelated to above, today I ran an experiment in session length.

I think it worked out okay. Not great - that sort of combat wasn't the best fit for it, no fault of Moore's or my own, just where his thread was at - since that sort of combat really is best with 100% focus on it. Still, it wasn't a terrible idea and could be a way to make up some days when circumstances aren't cooperating. Especially days when Iddy and/or Yuth are around more, so I can get the full crew rolling at once.

I'll keep it in my back pocket as an option for now. What did you all think?
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

I was fine with it, but maybe instead just do a 1 hour extension so you don't overwork yourself?