News:

Game for the gaming god; co-op for the entertainment couch!

Main Menu

Random DM nagging.

Started by Anastasia, August 06, 2011, 10:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yuthirin

Quote from: Yuthirin on December 10, 2015, 05:48:22 PM+Con ioun stone upgraded to +6 for appropriate price
+Int ioun stone upgraded to +6 for appropriate price
For the life of me, I cannot figure out how I calculated the costs for these.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Anastasia

Quote from: Yuthirin on October 23, 2017, 07:27:08 PM
Quote from: Yuthirin on December 10, 2015, 05:48:22 PM+Con ioun stone upgraded to +6 for appropriate price
+Int ioun stone upgraded to +6 for appropriate price
For the life of me, I cannot figure out how I calculated the costs for these.

Check how ioun stones for stat boosters are priced relative to normal stat boosters. That should tell you the answer right away.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

Quote from: Iron Dragoon on October 22, 2017, 10:18:28 PM
Quote from: Iron Dragoon on September 22, 2017, 03:10:41 PM
As a reminder:

Quote from: Iron Dragoon on July 31, 2017, 12:51:11 AM
Minor note of a list of missed opportunities for the insatiable curious Iddy.

Also, Epic Weaving skills.

At this point I'm not going to get to it, just had zero motivation and energy to work on a side project like that. If you wanna slap something together, feel free and I'll look at it.

Reminder: Epic Weaving Usages.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

<Afina> Forever.

Yuthirin

Quote from: Anastasia on October 24, 2017, 10:30:54 AM
Quote from: Yuthirin on October 22, 2017, 01:40:29 AMParagon's Skill (Need to talk to Dune about this still)

Hi.

Hello! How did you want to run this? Did you have a plan for if I pulled this off, or shall I propose ideas?
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Anastasia

Quote from: Yuthirin on October 24, 2017, 01:07:52 PM
Quote from: Yuthirin on October 22, 2017, 01:40:29 AMParagon's Skill (Need to talk to Dune about this still)

Hi.

Hello! How did you want to run this? Did you have a plan for if I pulled this off, or shall I propose ideas?

Propose away. Let me paste something from another known paragon to demonstrate how paragon's skill works in one case. Parts in strikeout are from other things and not affected by the paragon template.

QuoteSpell-Like Abilities

At will-chain lightning, dictum, dispel chaos, dispel good, Gathgorian's fireball, magic circle against chaos, magic circle against good, greater teleport, persistent image, wall of law. 1/day-wish. Caster level 48th. The save DCs are 19 + spell level. All of Gathgorian's spell-like abilities are automatically empowered and extended.

Note his somewhat expanded spell-like abilities. These are a notable racial power for cornugons so they were upgraded.

QuoteAura of Diabolical Victory (Su)

Gathgorian can radiate a 30ft radius fear aura as a free action. A creature in the area must succeed on a DC 50 Will save or be affected as though by a fear spell (caster level 48th). A creature who successfully saves against this aura cannot be affected again by the fear power of this aura for 24 hours. Other devils are immune to the fear aspect of this ability.

In addition, any time Gathgorian drops an opponent in battle (reducing them to 0 hp or less, or otherwise rendering them unconscious or helpless), all allies (including Gathgorian) who see this gain a +1 morale bonus to attack rolls, armor class and saving throws. Likewise, all enemies within sight must succeed on a DC 50 Will save or suffer a -1 morale penalty to attack rolls, armor class and saving throws. This ability stacks with itself, to a maximum of +9 or -9. The bonuses and penalties from this aspect of this ability last until the end of the encounter.

The save DCs are Charisma based and include a +9 racial bonus.

Again, a racial power boosted up. This takes a cornugon's fear aura and makes it more than it used to be.

QuoteStun (Su)

Whenever Gathgorian hits with a greatsword attack, the opponent must succeed on a DC 50 Fortitude save or be stunned for 3d4 rounds. The save DC is Strength based. This ability is a function of Gathgorian, not of the greatsword.

Likewise upgraded, but purely with the high DC from his higher stats and a much longer stun duration.

QuoteInfernal Wound (Su)

The damage Gathgorian deals with his tail attack causes a persistent wound. An injured creature loses 9 additional hit points each round. The wound does not heal naturally and resists healing spells. The continuing hit point loss can be stopped by a DC 42 Heal check or a spell that heals hit point damage. However, a character attempting to cast a spell that healing hit point damage on a creature damaged by Gathgorian's tail must succeed on a DC 42 caster level check, or the spell has no effect on the injured creature. A successful Heal check automatically stops the continuing hit point loss as well as restoring hit points. The check DC is Constitution based.

This one's merely scaled up as well. That works for a lot of abilities just fine.

QuoteSummon Devil (Sp)

Three times per day, Gathgorian can automatically summon 45 hit dice worth of devils. Alternately, he can call the same number of devils three times per day. He prefers to summon cornugons.

This is from the Duke of Hell template and should be ignored for this. While cornugons do have racial summoning abilities, in this case the Duke of Hell's offerings supersede other options.

QuoteRegeneration (Ex)

Gathgorian takes normal damage from anarchic, epic, good aligned silvered weapons, and from spells or effects with the good descriptor.

This is from both the paragon template and Duke of Hell template, so it's somewhat affected.

QuoteDiabolical Authority (Ex)

Gathgorian is invested with a part of Baator's terrifying majesty. He is treated as having divine rank zero for the sake of effects, though he no actual divine rank.
[/s]

Unrelated to the paragon template and not affected by it.

QuoteMind's Eye (Su)

Gathgorian has spent ages on the battlefield of the Blood War. He has come to the conclusion that the body is merely a vessel for the mind and soul, an instrument to enact the will of the individual on Creation. This adjustment in his thinking has coincided with his rise to ducal rank and has shaped his new growth. Gathgorian's mind has grown much sharper, he benefits from a +9 enhancement bonus to Intelligence.

Gathgorian's expanded mind has given him Mindsight as a bonus feat. His mindsight is more potent that average, he detects a creature's Charisma score in addition to its Intelligence score and type.

This is from the Duke of Hell template and unrelated to the paragon template.

---

Note that Gathgorian didn't develop a truly unique ability from the paragon template. Aura of Diabolical Victory is close to being that, but still has identifiable roots in a cornugon's fear aura. Not all paragons do, sometimes simply souping up a racial ability fills that niche. It's very much a case of taking what you have, working on it and seeing what feels right and reasonable.

Also the precise gains Gathgorian got aren't any sort of bellwether for the precise gains Tryll might get. Each paragon is unique due to the basic nature of paragons.
<Afina> Forever.

Yuthirin

Quote from: Anastasia on October 24, 2017, 01:53:23 PM
Quote from: Yuthirin on October 24, 2017, 01:07:52 PM

Hi.

Propose away. Let me paste something from another known paragon to demonstrate how paragon's skill works in one case. Parts in strikeout are from other things and not affected by the paragon template.

QuoteSpell-Like Abilities

At will-chain lightning, dictum, dispel chaos, dispel good, Gathgorian's fireball, magic circle against chaos, magic circle against good, greater teleport, persistent image, wall of law. 1/day-wish. Caster level 48th. The save DCs are 19 + spell level. All of Gathgorian's spell-like abilities are automatically empowered and extended.

Note his somewhat expanded spell-like abilities. These are a notable racial power for cornugons so they were upgraded.

QuoteAura of Diabolical Victory (Su)

Gathgorian can radiate a 30ft radius fear aura as a free action. A creature in the area must succeed on a DC 50 Will save or be affected as though by a fear spell (caster level 48th). A creature who successfully saves against this aura cannot be affected again by the fear power of this aura for 24 hours. Other devils are immune to the fear aspect of this ability.

In addition, any time Gathgorian drops an opponent in battle (reducing them to 0 hp or less, or otherwise rendering them unconscious or helpless), all allies (including Gathgorian) who see this gain a +1 morale bonus to attack rolls, armor class and saving throws. Likewise, all enemies within sight must succeed on a DC 50 Will save or suffer a -1 morale penalty to attack rolls, armor class and saving throws. This ability stacks with itself, to a maximum of +9 or -9. The bonuses and penalties from this aspect of this ability last until the end of the encounter.

The save DCs are Charisma based and include a +9 racial bonus.

Again, a racial power boosted up. This takes a cornugon's fear aura and makes it more than it used to be.

QuoteStun (Su)

Whenever Gathgorian hits with a greatsword attack, the opponent must succeed on a DC 50 Fortitude save or be stunned for 3d4 rounds. The save DC is Strength based. This ability is a function of Gathgorian, not of the greatsword.

Likewise upgraded, but purely with the high DC from his higher stats and a much longer stun duration.

QuoteInfernal Wound (Su)

The damage Gathgorian deals with his tail attack causes a persistent wound. An injured creature loses 9 additional hit points each round. The wound does not heal naturally and resists healing spells. The continuing hit point loss can be stopped by a DC 42 Heal check or a spell that heals hit point damage. However, a character attempting to cast a spell that healing hit point damage on a creature damaged by Gathgorian's tail must succeed on a DC 42 caster level check, or the spell has no effect on the injured creature. A successful Heal check automatically stops the continuing hit point loss as well as restoring hit points. The check DC is Constitution based.

This one's merely scaled up as well. That works for a lot of abilities just fine.

QuoteSummon Devil (Sp)

Three times per day, Gathgorian can automatically summon 45 hit dice worth of devils. Alternately, he can call the same number of devils three times per day. He prefers to summon cornugons.

This is from the Duke of Hell template and should be ignored for this. While cornugons do have racial summoning abilities, in this case the Duke of Hell's offerings supersede other options.

QuoteRegeneration (Ex)

Gathgorian takes normal damage from anarchic, epic, good aligned silvered weapons, and from spells or effects with the good descriptor.

This is from both the paragon template and Duke of Hell template, so it's somewhat affected.

QuoteDiabolical Authority (Ex)

Gathgorian is invested with a part of Baator's terrifying majesty. He is treated as having divine rank zero for the sake of effects, though he no actual divine rank.
[/s]

Unrelated to the paragon template and not affected by it.

QuoteMind's Eye (Su)

Gathgorian has spent ages on the battlefield of the Blood War. He has come to the conclusion that the body is merely a vessel for the mind and soul, an instrument to enact the will of the individual on Creation. This adjustment in his thinking has coincided with his rise to ducal rank and has shaped his new growth. Gathgorian's mind has grown much sharper, he benefits from a +9 enhancement bonus to Intelligence.

Gathgorian's expanded mind has given him Mindsight as a bonus feat. His mindsight is more potent that average, he detects a creature's Charisma score in addition to its Intelligence score and type.

This is from the Duke of Hell template and unrelated to the paragon template.

---

Note that Gathgorian didn't develop a truly unique ability from the paragon template. Aura of Diabolical Victory is close to being that, but still has identifiable roots in a cornugon's fear aura. Not all paragons do, sometimes simply souping up a racial ability fills that niche. It's very much a case of taking what you have, working on it and seeing what feels right and reasonable.

Also the precise gains Gathgorian got aren't any sort of bellwether for the precise gains Tryll might get. Each paragon is unique due to the basic nature of paragons.
Hm. That's an awful lot. I was under the impression that Paragon's Skill was just the addition of a single ability or upgrade. Is Gathgorian a special case, or is this kind of thing standard?

Anastasia

From the template:

QuoteParagon's Skill

Every paragon creature is beyond the other members of their race. All racial abilities should be evolved to suit the paragon. This requires an examination of the creature's special attacks and abilities to determine suitable changes. Further, the paragon may develop a brand new ability. Such an ability can be virtually anything, but should fit the abilities of the paragon creature's race.

All racial abilities evolve.

Certain things, like movement speed and ability scores, don't. Those are handled elsewhere in the document. This is generally for racial abilities under the special attacks or special abilities lines of a stat sheet.
<Afina> Forever.

Yuthirin

Okay, so the new ability is in addition to the evolved skills and abilities. Okay. Wow, this'll be fun!

Anastasia

Quote from: Yuthirin on October 24, 2017, 02:34:43 PM
Okay, so the new ability is in addition to the evolved skills and abilities. Okay. Wow, this'll be fun!

Yes. Do note that a new ability isn't mandatory, and should be considered on the balance of what you do with the other skills. There's really no metric or measurement for it, this is largely a DM use template. Common sense and balance win the day, so consider wisely and act once you've done that.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

BONUS GUIDANCE

If in total your improvements here do any of the following, you should tone it down.

1. Makes me sit back and sigh tiredly.
2. Inspires me to get up, grab my 2nd edition PHB and run around smacking imaginary Yuths in the air.
3. Makes me spontaneously consider Vastwoods 2: More Mushrooms as an escape mechanism.
4. Gets me to grab the pizza box from last night and beat it up, while screaming, "WHY WHY WHY DID YOU DO IT, PIZZA BOX YUTH?!"
5. Violates common sense or makes you think I'll go hell no.
6. Causes spontaneous DM combustion.
<Afina> Forever.

Yuthirin

Those sound a lot like life goals.

Iron Dragoon

Shifting skillpoints:

Putting 15 into Profession: Teaching.
10 from Calligraphy
3 from Decipher Script
2 from Hide.
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Anastasia

Notekeeping in case the template is lost, as the proxy template has a mechanism to remove it as the deity sees fit.

Hit Dice: 26d8+156 (264 hp)

Balyss's HP before getting max HP per hit die from the proxy template.

Her land speed is 30 and fly speed is 90 (good).

Old natural armor bonus was +3.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Balyss now has the proxy template, as elaborated on in Afina and Jaela's thread.
<Afina> Forever.