News:

No longer content with mere attendance, the middle-class suburban poseurs have begun to put their hands in the air and wave them like they just don't care

Main Menu

The hunt for companionship (Calleigh)

Started by Anastasia, August 30, 2016, 03:44:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yuthirin

"Oh! We know all about horrifying abominations!" Calleigh says confidently.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Nephrite

"I don't doubt it." Moore answers with a small smile. "But... ...no, I think you're right. It isn't fair for me to decide who should and shouldn't know about these sorts of things. You're a member of Aurora just like anyone else, both of you." Moore makes a general gesture in what he assumes is Tryll's direction.

"At the same time... Understand that if you open this and read it, you're agreeing to get embroiled in something very dangerous. Both of you." He looks serious -- more serious than usual, at any rate. "I'd gladly accept your assistance with the task, if you're willing, however."

Yuthirin

"Eh," Calleigh waves dismissively, "How bad could it be? We've spent time in Limbo. It gets pretty weird there."
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Nephrite

Moore takes a breath and then offers the diary over. "Then please forgive me for the burden you're going to be opened to."

Yuthirin

Calleigh puts her hands on her hips. "You're being really weird about this."

Nephrite

"It's a really weird situation." Moore answers. "You'll understand once you read it."

Yuthirin

The book plucks itself out of Moore's hands, being far too large for Calleigh to lift herself. It floats up, turning end over end. Above Calleigh, a cephalopodan eye the size of a serving platter manifests. It peers at the book, taking in every detail.

After a moment, Calleigh lets out a triumphant, "Ha!"

Nephrite

Moore smiles at that. "You know, I actually have a mask now that would let me see you." He's obviously talking over Calleigh's shoulder when he says this. "But it's my understanding you can be heard if you want to be regardless, so I won't invade on your privacy." He turns back to Calleigh. "It's still dangerous, but I know both of you are brave."

Yuthirin

Calleigh shrugs. "People always want to ruin the fun. Be that way!"

Above her, the eye is joined by two more beneath it. Tendrils phase into being beneath it, three sets of three not unlike loathsome whiskers. Weird gills appear followed quickly by whoasHITHOUSESIZEDGIANTSQUIDMONSTER.

'Quite.' Tryll broadcasts; voice smooth, placid, and genderless inside Moore's mind. 'Calleigh is pleased because she was right. Muirfinn was not a Selunite.'

Nephrite

Moore laughs a little bit at Calleigh before he nods politely up at Tryll. "I'm not sure why that was ever in question... this sounds like a story I didn't hear about. Either way, it's good to see you. Hah, get it? Because you're... nevermind." He takes in a breath. "Either way, yes, I had hoped to get some insight into the string of numbers mentioned in there -- it may just be crazy rambling, but from what I've learned, sometimes crazy rambling actually means something."

Yuthirin

'If you ask Renbuu, perhaps. If it's about colors. With Ygorl, all ramblings matter. Numbers have meaning, though. They can be both ordered and chaotic. Order and entropy are reliable forces, and known quantities.' The book holds itself still in mid air, a tapping sound coming from its cover.  'Calleigh was under the impression that Muirfinn was a Selunite, from information gathered from Vivantha. I was skeptical. Vindication is pleasant, though it is not without its own bitter aftertaste. The Mother Ocean is known to me. Though not venerated by most of the irrigo, my race, we were aware that there were other gods. The Great Triune was enough for us in most cases.'

As the book is opened, Tryll's top eye peruses the warning on the interior cover. The lower two remain fixed and unblinking on Moore. 'Madness is only occasionally meaningless. Madness is sanity to some, and boring to others. The ravings of madmen are filled with valuable information should you be prepared to sift through the obfuscation.'

Nephrite

Moore nods in agreement. "If there's anything I've learned in the last few months, it's that you have to have the wisdom to find the right note and harmony in a discordant chaos. I suppose it's like the two of you -- you have a harmonious balance that you've both struck, balancing out extremes on either side."

Yuthirin

'Oh, don't be fooled. We do not offset each other. We encourage each other. There is synergy. While I am nominally in control of the relationship, she is free to do as she pleases in the overwhelming majority of cases. I am simply calmer. Much like the surface of a tranquil pond. The surface is not everything.'

Calleigh makes faces at Moore. It's adorable.

'That said, there is a rightness to your words. In a way. Harmony is an intrinsic aspect of creation. We're getting sidetracked though.'

Nephrite

"It's important to bring up, considering the topic." Moore says with a gesture at the book. "That creature -- He disrupts harmony. It's why it's so important that we rid Creation of him."

Anastasia

Glitterosm listens in to all of this, "May I see the book as well?"
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?