News:

"I stand humbled by your vast My Little Pony knowledge."

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by Dracos, June 20, 2005, 03:55:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thepanda

Quote from: Dracos on September 14, 2012, 09:55:28 PM
Also read some Nanoha/Slayers fic of 600k words.  Got like 2 chapters in before just getting tired of the mary sue with Lina's name on it and quiting. :(
That the one where Lina is Nanoha's mother?

Anastasia

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7972624/1/Lunatique

Tsukihime/Fate one-shot, describing the death of the Crimson Moon. Really good and worth reading. Edit: A quick check shows it's by the author of Chaos Theory. Didn't even notice.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Rayearth

Quote from: alethiophile on September 14, 2012, 10:11:22 PM
On a related note, Infinity by the same author just recently updated. That's a Nanoha fic set after A's. Quite good.

That Moczo has some of the more twistedly amusing one-shots of Fate secondary characters that I've ever read.
There's Mind of Aluminum which features Shinji Matou of all people, dealt with in a rather surprising way.
There's also Mirror, Mirror starring Rin and "Gilgamesh".

Anyway, first post! Herro, Everynyan. How Are Hyu. Fine, Sankyu.
My reading taste consists almost entirely of crossovers for some reason.

The one I'm most hoping for an update is The War of Kings (first chapter here), in which we find that Lelouch makes a pretty good Master.
Brian, I think you might be amused by who Lancer is in this one.

alethiophile

Mind of Aluminum is good. Probably my favorite of Moczo's humor randomnesses is Shinderella; that thing is great.

Ebiris

Currently reading Cast in Gold in which Shinji Exalts during his battle with Sachiel. About halfway through now, but it's lots of fun seeing how Shinji deals with having become a Solar Exalted and NERV likewise attempts to catalogue and classify this new non-Angelic power. It's not really much about curb-stomping the angels, since Shinji doesn't have any of the really cool charms (or sorcery) and so it's still up to the Evas to fight, but it adds an interesting dimension to everything that happens outside the Eva. Worth a read.

And if you're in the mood for more 'competent and well rounded' Shinjis with a slice of superpowers, I recommend Last Child of Krypton. In this one a probe from dying Krypton is found by Gehrin and while studying it a pregnant Yui has Kryptonian DNA merged with her unborn son. Shinji isn't quite Clark Kent but he's pretty close, and it plays on a lot of the fun Superman tropes with Shinji running off with a lame excuse before saving the day as Superman then coming back with some ineffectual item that he supposedly ran off to find so he could 'help'. In this one he can't pilot the Evas because of his altered DNA, but as Superman he's fully able to support the fight without one. It's a fantastic story and it made me feel good reading it, so I recommend this one even more strongly than the first.

Jason_Miao

Quote from: Dracos on September 14, 2012, 07:35:33 PM
Indeed.

It's...the best active Ranma fanfic on the web at the moment I think?  Would any contest?  :)

I actually like Nexus II slightly better.  But I'll readily admit that by this point, Nexus is really an original fantasy story with a Ranma fig leaf on it, and they're both written by the same guy anyway.

I really ought to go find and read FSN, so I can read the stories people are writing based off of it.

Yuthirin

Quote from: Ebiris on September 15, 2012, 09:46:03 PM
Currently reading Cast in Gold in which Shinji Exalts during his battle with Sachiel. About halfway through now, but it's lots of fun seeing how Shinji deals with having become a Solar Exalted and NERV likewise attempts to catalogue and classify this new non-Angelic power. It's not really much about curb-stomping the angels, since Shinji doesn't have any of the really cool charms (or sorcery) and so it's still up to the Evas to fight, but it adds an interesting dimension to everything that happens outside the Eva. Worth a read.

And if you're in the mood for more 'competent and well rounded' Shinjis with a slice of superpowers, I recommend Last Child of Krypton. In this one a probe from dying Krypton is found by Gehrin and while studying it a pregnant Yui has Kryptonian DNA merged with her unborn son. Shinji isn't quite Clark Kent but he's pretty close, and it plays on a lot of the fun Superman tropes with Shinji running off with a lame excuse before saving the day as Superman then coming back with some ineffectual item that he supposedly ran off to find so he could 'help'. In this one he can't pilot the Evas because of his altered DNA, but as Superman he's fully able to support the fight without one. It's a fantastic story and it made me feel good reading it, so I recommend this one even more strongly than the first.

THANK YOU!
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Dracos

Quote from: thepanda on September 15, 2012, 12:47:59 AM
Quote from: Dracos on September 14, 2012, 09:55:28 PM
Also read some Nanoha/Slayers fic of 600k words.  Got like 2 chapters in before just getting tired of the mary sue with Lina's name on it and quiting. :(
That the one where Lina is Nanoha's mother?

Yes.   It's an enormous fic, but I couldn't care long enough to see if there was a spark there later.  Honestly tried, but the whole "And now I unglamour my eyes.  Now I reglamour them." just was singing "Mary-sue!"
Well, Goodbye.

Dracos

Quote from: Rayearth on September 15, 2012, 04:34:35 AM
Quote from: alethiophile on September 14, 2012, 10:11:22 PM
On a related note, Infinity by the same author just recently updated. That's a Nanoha fic set after A's. Quite good.

That Moczo has some of the more twistedly amusing one-shots of Fate secondary characters that I've ever read.
There's Mind of Aluminum which features Shinji Matou of all people, dealt with in a rather surprising way.
There's also Mirror, Mirror starring Rin and "Gilgamesh".

Anyway, first post! Herro, Everynyan. How Are Hyu. Fine, Sankyu.
My reading taste consists almost entirely of crossovers for some reason.

The one I'm most hoping for an update is The War of Kings (first chapter here), in which we find that Lelouch makes a pretty good Master.
Brian, I think you might be amused by who Lancer is in this one.

Welcome to the site. :)  Might want to say hi in the Introductions thread, but welcome :)

If I recall correctly, Brian's not really into the whole Fate/stay scene :)
Well, Goodbye.

Brian

Yeah, where I'm not indifferent to the Nasuverse, I'm generally irritated by it. >_>

Sorry. :x
I handle other fanfic authors Nanoha-style.  Grit those teeth!  C&C incoming!
Prepare to be befriended!

~exploding tag~

alethiophile

Regarding Last Child of Krypton, the author just finished a rewrite under the title LCoK: Redux. The latter is probably better written, and doesn't so much explode into full crossover territory at the end. Both are good, though.

There's also a sequel to Redux being written right now, called Crisis of Infinite Shinjis. Haven't started that one yet, but the guy's stuff is generally good.

Anastasia

http://addventure.bast-enterprises.de/255967.html

DK:A update. This isn't a whole lot of content. The author was on vacation for a few weeks and I think he just wanted to get something up.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Dracos

Consumed all of Child of Krypton: Redux.

It was a good story, though grammar/spelling was sometimes a problem and surprisingly so in a rewrite.  Action scenes certainly wasn't its strength, and I think it would've been better served with a happy ending rather than a crisis of infinite shinjis.

It's best strength is really that it is a tale of Hope Redeems.
Well, Goodbye.

Yuthirin

Quote from: Dracos on September 20, 2012, 08:33:57 PM
Consumed all of Child of Krypton: Redux.

It was a good story, though grammar/spelling was sometimes a problem and surprisingly so in a rewrite.  Action scenes certainly wasn't its strength, and I think it would've been better served with a happy ending rather than a crisis of infinite shinjis.

It's best strength is really that it is a tale of Hope Redeems.

I really enjoyed it. Crisis of Infinite Shinjis not so much. I got about seven paragraphs in before my brain decided that it didn't care anymore. Such a shame.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Kt3

Quote from: Anastasia on September 18, 2012, 03:27:59 PM
http://addventure.bast-enterprises.de/255967.html

DK:A update. This isn't a whole lot of content. The author was on vacation for a few weeks and I think he just wanted to get something up.

So I haven't read DK:A in a long while, and hadn't too much of a desire to pick it up again that quickly.

Is it still going strong?  Is there an actual plot or is it just kinda... well, like standard addventure?
I think we live our lives in other people's hearts and minds. Alone by ourselves we're not very much good at all. But when we let someone else in with their stories and all their sights and sounds and songs and smells and sensations, we suddenly start filling our shelves and boxes with books and books of them and building up our libraries.